Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

My mind has run rampant on the idea of the perfect toy hauler/daily driver since I've gotten the track day bug. I seem to be still left more questions than answers and have wondered what others may think.

My circumstances as a city (Los Angeles) dweller/commuter demands something not too massive and obnoxious to take to work on the odd days I don't ride. I have the space for a 3rd vehicle, but the idea of it just sitting there between track days and the random haul runs to a nursery or Home Depot seems wasted.

My current setup is a compact SUV and a rented UHaul moto trailer. It's a fine kit I suppose, but having something enclosed could double down as a place to sleep.

At the moment, I've set my sights on the Mercedes Benz Metris cargo/passenger van. This video shows it in use:
I'm really impressed with it's capacity. The thing has a much larger tow rating too that I assumed.

Regardless, there's so many ways to haul your stuff to the track, but is there the perfect hauler/daily driver setup? Would you rather tow or haul behind? Truck, SUV or van?

Inquiring minds would like to know.......

· Registered
26 Posts
I picked mine up and took it home in an early 2000's ford econoline uhaul van. About took my head off getting it in the back but, she fit. I'd imagine a Newer Ford Transit would be great given it is smaller but has a higher rear cargo area.

Attachments

· Registered
37 Posts
If you currently have an SUV youre towing a trailer with i'd probably just keep doing that. A 3rd vehicle just for the bike doesnt make that much sense. I'd probably buy a motorcycle trailer though(the ones that stand up so they take up less space). That way you aren't renting something anymore (can see how many trackdays it would take to save you money in the long run etc.)

Personally, i'd never NOT own a truck. I've been using a truck to haul the motorcycle to the race track since 06. So when you're ready to change that SUV out, maybe consider getting a truck.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you currently have an SUV youre towing a trailer with i'd probably just keep doing that. A 3rd vehicle just for the bike doesnt make that much sense. I'd probably buy a motorcycle trailer though(the ones that stand up so they take up less space). That way you aren't renting something anymore (can see how many trackdays it would take to save you money in the long run etc.)

Personally, i'd never NOT own a truck. I've been using a truck to haul the motorcycle to the race track since 06. So when you're ready to change that SUV out, maybe consider getting a truck.
Yes, I agree a 3rd vehicle would be excessive. I'd swap out my SUV if I were to go in a different direction regardless. The Kendon folding trailers look great and I believe I could stow it along side of my garage, but towing at the max 55mph is obnoxious. My last trip home from Willow netted me a nice speeding ticket that I'm still dealing with special thanks to Ca Highway Patrol!

I did want a truck, but I don't want to haul the rest of my gear uncovered in the back of a bed. Plus, loading and unloading in a truck bed is too intimidating for me at this point.

Which keeps bringing me back to a van, but I'm not interested in daily driving a huge cargo van in LA.

There's also the hitch carrier option, but I'd need a vehicle with the proper tongue weight. Mine is 350 lbs max. (Lexus NX)

· Registered
37 Posts
Yes, I agree a 3rd vehicle would be excessive. I'd swap out my SUV if I were to go in a different direction regardless. The Kendon folding trailers look great and I believe I could stow it along side of my garage, but towing at the max 55mph is obnoxious. My last trip home from Willow netted me a nice speeding ticket that I'm still dealing with special thanks to Ca Highway Patrol!

I did want a truck, but I don't want to haul the rest of my gear uncovered in the back of a bed. Plus, loading and unloading in a truck bed is too intimidating for me at this point.

Which keeps bringing me back to a van, but I'm not interested in daily driving a huge cargo van in LA.

There's also the hitch carrier option, but I'd need a vehicle with the proper tongue weight. Mine is 350 lbs max. (Lexus NX)
You're pretty much nailed why i've never towed a trailer :)

They have some pretty sweet lowering kits for certain trucks. You could always put bags on a truck to lower it as well.

· Registered
9 Posts
I've always liked the Nissan NV series trucks. The 3500 can pull ALOT with its 5.6L engine and they come in all sorts of cargo configurations.

you mention you have a small SUV. without knowing what kind it is and how much your hitch weight it, this might be a good solution... Black Widow Deluxe Steel Motorcycle Carrier - 600 lbs. Capacity

I have one on my Xterra, and put airbags on the back to support the leaf springs. I've put my R7 on there several times, an R1, and other sportbikes without any issue. The first couple times is kinda nerve wracking as you see the bike moving a little bit, but they've never gone anywhere. Cheap, easy to install, and very easy to load/unload a bike.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've always liked the Nissan NV series trucks. The 3500 can pull ALOT with its 5.6L engine and they come in all sorts of cargo configurations. you mention you have a small SUV. without knowing what kind it is and how much your hitch weight it, this might be a good solution... Black Widow Deluxe Steel Motorcycle Carrier - 600 lbs. Capacity I have one on my Xterra, and put airbags on the back to support the leaf springs. I've put my R7 on there several times, an R1, and other sportbikes without any issue. The first couple times is kinda nerve wracking as you see the bike moving a little bit, but they've never gone anywhere. Cheap, easy to install, and very easy to load/unload a bike.
NX200T w a max 350 lbs tongue weight. I may consider upgrading to the bigger GX platform and pick up a Moto Tote carrier. MotoTote Motorcycle Hitch Carriers, Haulers & Racks Reviews have said these are mounted more solidly and don’t move around as much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts