Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what other brand or shop has one ready, but I talked with the owner of GPR today and their design and fitment is ready but they are not producing any yet (the mount), they are waiting to see some demand. I told them I am demanding one right now, I'd place an order today if they would have it ready soon. LOL

I like their product and their service, I'll stick with GPR. Is anyone besides me considering a stabilizer at all?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Their pricing is pretty much standard for each application, I'll update when more is known. I do not see this install being much different than their standard configuration. With no tank bolt, it would be a stem mount and a mounting plate on top of the triple clamp. They are supposed to send me detailed info soon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Would a stabilizer make a difference for aggressive street riding? By aggressive street riding I mean mild speeding. Somewhere well above the speed limit but not public road meets track day levels. The bike is a knife blade as is. Will it improve handling during aggressive street riding or is it something you would only notice when truly pushing the limits of the machine on track (or public roads if you're that kind of crazy)?

·
Registered
93 Posts
The tank slappers that I've had on the street were from hitting big bumps in the road that got me airborne and immediately when the front tire touches back down. It stabilizes in a fraction of a second and I wondered if I'd been so lucky if I had a damper to slow that naturally quick self-stabilizing effect. I haven't crashed without a damper but I feel that if I had one, I might have. The streets have more surprises than a road race course. I was leaned over and accelerating last time I went airborne and thought I was a goner.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The tank slappers that I've had on the street were from hitting big bumps in the road that got me airborne and immediately when the front tire touches back down. It stabilizes in a fraction of a second and I wondered if I'd been so lucky if I had a damper to slow that naturally quick self-stabilizing effect. I haven't crashed without a damper but I feel that if I had one, I might have. The streets have more surprises than a road race course. I was leaned over and accelerating last time I went airborne and thought I was a goner.
So it's all about preventing a tank slapper. I don't yet ride hard enough on the street for that to happen. Might get one when I start track riding next summer. I imagine even small bumps on track can be a problem at high speeds.

·
Registered
93 Posts
A tank slapper from going over a jump isn't the same as a high speed tank slapper. Coming down with the front wheel turned because I was leaned over meant I needed the front wheel to get back on track as soon as possible. A damper would have slowed down that stabilization. A high speed tank slapper when the wheel doesn't loose contact for very long doesn't get steered too far to one side initially so a damper doesn't need to be as quick to allow the wheel to be stabilized. IMO, a damper may have caused me to crash on landing by not allowing the steering geometry to do it's self-stabilizing thing quick enough.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A tank slapper from going over a jump isn't the same as a high speed tank slapper. Coming down with the front wheel turned because I was leaned over meant I needed the front wheel to get back on track as soon as possible. A damper would have slowed down that stabilization. A high speed tank slapper when the wheel doesn't loose contact for very long doesn't get steered too far to one side initially so a damper doesn't need to be as quick to allow the wheel to be stabilized. IMO, a damper may have caused me to crash on landing by not allowing the steering geometry to do it's self-stabilizing thing quick enough.
I had the front end start shaking due to a jolt to the rear end, when I turned in I on was on the brakes hard, the rear was not in contact with the ground. When it did touch, at a lean, most likely not aligned perfectly straight, it sent a shock from the back to the front and bar shake started. I loosened my grip to attempt self-stabilization but that did not work. I absolutely think that a stabilizer would have helped in this situation. I believe in them for certain bikes, I do not think the R3 needs one for instance, but they absolutely are an advantage off road and they absolutely are an advantage on my other track bikes.

Unfortunately no one, myself included was running a GoPro, which I would have undoubtedly destroyed mine. But the seasoned track rider that witnessed the crash said it was the weirdest crash she had ever seen. It was a very technical turn and I got too comfortable and cocky, and I am paying a price for that. But I'll be back in the new year.

·
Registered
93 Posts
In all three cases with me, a damper would not have prevented a crash. It may have been less scary or possibly made me crash with one. I dunno but I'm glad I didn't have one when the bikes stabilized upon landing. Each time, I fully expected a crash and all were very different bikes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts