Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What technique do you guys use to get smooth upshifts?

I find that the machine likes very quick shifts. My thoughts as a new rider...

1) If I wait too long between roll-off and clutch-in the engine breaking is so hard and instant that it causes the bike to jolt once I grab the gear because of the drop in speed.

2) Pulling the clutch lever too far in almost always leads to a hard shift. The margin of error is small. Noticeably so from 1 to 2 to 3. The higher gears seem to slip in like butter even when inputs aren't perfect.

3) The quicker I can roll-off, clutch-in the absolute minimum, and roll-on, the smoother the shift. Again, if clutch-in is too deep the shift is hard.

I preload the shift lever and always allow it to fully reset.

On other bikes I have been on, including my 2015 CBR300R that only had 2k miles when I sold it, didn't seem to require the same level of focus and precise input to get smooth shifts.

Your advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
189 Posts
It’s quite a bit more torque than you are used to, certainly much more than a CBR300, that will lead to some of your feel.
For me the action is simultaneous, roll off while pulling in the clutch quick, then reverse that after the shift, but the clutch out perhaps a little slower while rolling on the throttle quicker.

I dont really think about it and I am going off of memory, I haven’t been on a bike in a few weeks. Just trying to think through how I do it. YMMV

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went out for a ride this evening. I noticed that I have been lifting the the shift lever too high. By decreasing the lift on the shift lever and keeping the throttle and clutch inputs tight and quick I'm able to shift 1st through 3rd nice and smooth.

I'll pray to the motorcycle gods that 200 miles of mediocre shifting didn't do any damage to the bike!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Went out for a ride this evening. I noticed that I have been lifting the the shift lever too high. By decreasing the lift on the shift lever and keeping the throttle and clutch inputs tight and quick I'm able to shift 1st through 3rd nice and smooth.

I'll pray to the motorcycle gods that 200 miles of mediocre shifting didn't do any damage to the bike!
I definitely would not worry about that. It's fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts