Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Similar to what SetemberToob says. A) Many of these parts aren't even available yet from many of the aftermarket msg's. B) Compatibility, if you've ever built a race bike you learn that when you source from different mfgs you can run into conflicts (Exhaust is an example, if the bodywork is cut out for the Akra pipe and you get a Yosh, you may have to modify). Similarly sometimes the exhaust may try to use a mounting bracket that the rear sets required you to remove, on and on it goes.

There's no clear answer these are all personal choices. The ignition bypass for me is a critical one and I've done it manually before, but I'd much rather buy a switch guaranteed to fit the OEM triple and plugs directly into the wiring harness. Handlebar switches same thing, I don't feel like researching and buying individual waterproof momentary switches and hacking harnesses. So when Yamaha themselves do the engineering and offer all the parts together I can just buy them all from one supplier and they all are known to work together.

Money is the big reason not to go this route, you can save a few bucks hand picking where you want to spend more or less to fit a budget. For me personally the time is far more valuable than the slight savings so I'd personally prefer to just order it and not have to worry about it or figure it out. Parts arrive, they get bolted on and I'm back on the track.

Just my $0.02 and all of this again is personal preference and priorities but those are my personal reasons for wanting to just go to a GYTR Supersport page, add all to cart (except bodywork) which BTW I'm confident will be Sharkskinz bodywork. Hopefully I don't offend anyone with my response I'm just sharing my personal perspective, opinion and experience. I used to race an SV650 first gen many years ago so I know exactly how painful it can be when parts being used aren't "designed" for the bike. They work for sure, but I'm too old now to be dealing with that. Exactly why I bought the R7 I knew they'd put together a package that I could just buy and throw on and it's ready to go. The track time and using the bike are where I want my available free time to be spent. There is NO wrong way to prep a bike though. Heck, you can for track use just tape up the lights and call it a day. I've done it and there is nothing wrong with that at all.
For suspension parts, it's an MT09 front and MT07 rear right, this is not entirely new design. My suspension guy told me, Just let me know when you are ready and how much you want to spend, we'll put it together. I'll probably eventually go GP in the front, not sure about the rear, most likely Ohlins. He'd be putting it together and dealing with any setup issues, but that is what he does. For now and for my immediate purpose, it is set up for me fine and I like the way it rides. Stock springs are about at their limits but the numbers are fine for now. I doubt I'll get seriously into road racing now but it has been and will be on the track so at some point the suspension components will be changed, probably when the springs wear a little bit.

I do like your plug and play idea KDE, I may end up doing just what you are saying. But then I am wrenching, which I typically don't mind, but if I don't have to, that's more time for me to do other things. And since I don't really have an off season, it will get done faster if I have my mechanic do it so I can get back to riding.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
For suspension parts, it's an MT09 front and MT07 rear right, this is not entirely new design. My suspension guy told me, Just let me know when you are ready and how much you want to spend, we'll put it together. I'll probably eventually go GP in the front, not sure about the rear, most likely Ohlins. He'd be putting it together and dealing with any setup issues, but that is what he does. For now and for my immediate purpose, it is set up for me fine and I like the way it rides. Stock springs are about at their limits but the numbers are fine for now. I doubt I'll get seriously into road racing now but it has been and will be on the track so at some point the suspension components will be changed, probably when the springs wear a little bit.

I do like your plug and play idea KDE, I may end up doing just what you are saying. But then I am wrenching, which I typically don't mind, but if I don't have to, that's more time for me to do other things. And since I don't really have an off season, it will get done faster if I have my mechanic do it so I can get back to riding.
I can’t engage with anyone willing to mention they “don’t have an off season” 😂

·
Registered
82 Posts

Is the front the same as the MT09? I wasn't aware of that, good to know if so. I was also under the impression that the linkage in the rear was different from the FZ07 - not sure if that affects the shock fitment or not. Either way, I'll probably wait until someone else confirms and makes those potential mistakes for me before putting down cash. Let us know if your suspension guy moves forward! And thanks for the info

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Is the front the same as the MT09? I wasn't aware of that, good to know if so. I was also under the impression that the linkage in the rear was different from the FZ07 - not sure if that affects the shock fitment or not. Either way, I'll probably wait until someone else confirms and makes those potential mistakes for me before putting down cash. Let us know if your suspension guy moves forward! And thanks for the info
We're waiting on you to be that someone lol. I am in the same boat I don't want to be the explorer but it's hard given how new these bikes are.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I attached the rectifier like this. I think it will be fine - it fits right into the little "pocket" on the fairing, which should insulate it a bit from the heat of the radiator and engine. I couldn't find another reasonable spot without having to move a ton of shit around. Any updates with yours?
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I attached the rectifier like this. I think it will be fine - it fits right into the little "pocket" on the fairing, which should insulate it a bit from the heat of the radiator and engine. I couldn't find another reasonable spot without having to move a ton of shit around. Any updates with yours?
View attachment 420
That’s about how mine is mounted too. Not too many options definitely let me know if it seems ok.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
BTW - where'd you get that R7 decal on the fairings?
PopShadow Decals and Vehicle Wraps you'll have to contact her and ask for a price I don't recall how much she charged for these. They weren't part of the standard kit. Also be sure to let her know that you want the transparent background. Also I have an SVG file that is very close if you wanted to use that and just send it to a local vinyl shop. If so PM me your email I can't upload it here with the .svg extension.
Grey Wood Font Twig Electric blue

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
@kdemotorsports @Vansmack

Finished my paint job copy. I think yours looks better but it turned out OK...I rushed the clear a bit and got some orange peel, but whatever, far from good but good from far:
View attachment 464
View attachment 465
View attachment 466
Nice, I like your black stripes better. I thought about making mine thinner but was afraid I would make it look worse. Kind of funny how so many of these are going to be running around with that paint scheme. Looks good and trust me up close mine has plenty of flaws too.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts