Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well it looks a lot easier than what I did with my GSXR. Took wayyyyyyy longer than I was expecting and bit off way more than I could chew. I think it turned out pretty good though. Definitely going to go with a simpler design for the R7. I like what you did a lot. Here's my GSXR:

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle brake

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Well it looks a lot easier than what I did with my GSXR. Took wayyyyyyy longer than I was expecting and bit off way more than I could chew. I think it turned out pretty good though. Definitely going to go with a simpler design for the R7. I like what you did a lot. Here's my GSXR:

View attachment 371
Wow that was ambitious

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Got everything mounted up this weekend. The fit around the tank is a little wonky, but nothing too terrible. Although now I really need an exhaust.
I hear you I had to remove my lower and remount the stock exhaust. No one can get any part numbers for the Akro exhaust GYTR branded or not. So until it’s available no belly pan for me. My tank fitment was perfect. Getting the upper on and off is another story though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Why are you holding out for that exhaust specifically, and how do you know it's coming? How is it different than the current Akra options, do you know?
It’s the only one I’ve seen that has an extension that positions the pipe underneath where the passenger pegs fit standard. All others collect at the bottom rear similar to how the factory cat is. So it’s the only one I’m confident will clear the belly pan. You can probably hack the belly pan with others to make them work but then may not pass tech if it can’t hold enough fluid in the catch can part of the belly pan. As far as knowing it’s coming it is what is shown in all the Yamaha R7 GYTR announcements. I’m confident eventually they’ll have a parts page just like they have for the R3, R6, and R1’s. Just a matter of time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
This is what I'm trying to describe. The first pic is every other exhaust I've seen.

Fuel tank Wheel Tire Automotive fuel system Motorcycle

This is the GYTR (Akrapovic) see how it has a mid pipe down by the belly pan. Then mounts to a bracket that goes to the rear passenger peg mounting holes.
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Crankset Automotive tire

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Seriously! Yeah I just looked it up, looks like a whole kit with a bunch of goodies. Hopefully they release items for sale individually, although I'd probably buy the whole kit if I had to.
If you look at the R3, R6 and R1 pages you’ll see they list part numbers for each item. But everything from clip ons, rear sets, handlebar switches, ignition bypass switch, literally everything I’m waiting on. They just need to release the part numbers so I can finish this project over the colder months 😂

·
Registered
2022 R7 - Blue
28 Posts
If you look at the R3, R6 and R1 pages you’ll see they list part numbers for each item. But everything from clip ons, rear sets, handlebar switches, ignition bypass switch, literally everything I’m waiting on. They just need to release the part numbers so I can finish this project over the colder months 😂
What is the advantage to waiting for these when there are other brands already available for most of them? I can understand the exhaust, and I'm happy you brought that point up. I wouldn't have thought of that, and I'll eventually be buying track fairings as well! I only ask because I've already ordered Woodcraft clip ons and looking at the Attack rearsets....

·
Registered
82 Posts
What is the advantage to waiting for these when there are other brands already available for most of them? I can understand the exhaust, and I'm happy you brought that point up. I wouldn't have thought of that, and I'll eventually be buying track fairings as well! I only ask because I've already ordered Woodcraft clip ons and looking at the Attack rearsets....
For me it's mostly the suspension and exhaust. If you know of fork cartridges or shocks that are already available for the R7 I'd love to hear about it.

·
Registered
2022 R7 - Blue
28 Posts
For me it's mostly the suspension and exhaust. If you know of fork cartridges or shocks that are already available for the R7 I'd love to hear about it.
Also the race handlebar switches and harness. Would love to get my hands on those, and if you have found somewhere they're available please share.
I was going to go with Nitron Suspension but I have not contacted the distributor yet, so I can't speak for that :)

Same with switches--that's not something I had looked into or planned on doing. I was more talking about the more universal parts like the clip ons and rearsets, that don't require any fancy OEM wiring connectors (I'm paranoid about cutting wiring). For the bypass, there is one listed on SportBikeTrackGear. Not sure if links will kill this thread but if you search "woodcraft harness r7" it will pop right up! $52

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was going to go with Nitron Suspension but I have not contacted the distributor yet, so I can't speak for that :)

Same with switches--that's not something I had looked into or planned on doing. I was more talking about the more universal parts like the clip ons and rearsets, that don't require any fancy OEM wiring connectors (I'm paranoid about cutting wiring). For the bypass, there is one listed on SportBikeTrackGear. Not sure if links will kill this thread but if you search "woodcraft harness r7" it will pop right up! $52
I was referring to the race ECU, ABS harness, etc that comes with the R6 kit, for example. The ignition delete is already indeed available from woodcraft, but TY for sharing regardless. Woodcraft are good folks and I've already got that one on order. (y)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Similar to what SetemberToob says. A) Many of these parts aren't even available yet from many of the aftermarket msg's. B) Compatibility, if you've ever built a race bike you learn that when you source from different mfgs you can run into conflicts (Exhaust is an example, if the bodywork is cut out for the Akra pipe and you get a Yosh, you may have to modify). Similarly sometimes the exhaust may try to use a mounting bracket that the rear sets required you to remove, on and on it goes.

There's no clear answer these are all personal choices. The ignition bypass for me is a critical one and I've done it manually before, but I'd much rather buy a switch guaranteed to fit the OEM triple and plugs directly into the wiring harness. Handlebar switches same thing, I don't feel like researching and buying individual waterproof momentary switches and hacking harnesses. So when Yamaha themselves do the engineering and offer all the parts together I can just buy them all from one supplier and they all are known to work together.

Money is the big reason not to go this route, you can save a few bucks hand picking where you want to spend more or less to fit a budget. For me personally the time is far more valuable than the slight savings so I'd personally prefer to just order it and not have to worry about it or figure it out. Parts arrive, they get bolted on and I'm back on the track.

Just my $0.02 and all of this again is personal preference and priorities but those are my personal reasons for wanting to just go to a GYTR Supersport page, add all to cart (except bodywork) which BTW I'm confident will be Sharkskinz bodywork. Hopefully I don't offend anyone with my response I'm just sharing my personal perspective, opinion and experience. I used to race an SV650 first gen many years ago so I know exactly how painful it can be when parts being used aren't "designed" for the bike. They work for sure, but I'm too old now to be dealing with that. Exactly why I bought the R7 I knew they'd put together a package that I could just buy and throw on and it's ready to go. The track time and using the bike are where I want my available free time to be spent. There is NO wrong way to prep a bike though. Heck, you can for track use just tape up the lights and call it a day. I've done it and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

·
Registered
2022 R7 - Blue
28 Posts
Similar to what SetemberToob says. A) Many of these parts aren't even available yet from many of the aftermarket msg's. B) Compatibility, if you've ever built a race bike you learn that when you source from different mfgs you can run into conflicts (Exhaust is an example, if the bodywork is cut out for the Akra pipe and you get a Yosh, you may have to modify). Similarly sometimes the exhaust may try to use a mounting bracket that the rear sets required you to remove, on and on it goes.

There's no clear answer these are all personal choices. The ignition bypass for me is a critical one and I've done it manually before, but I'd much rather buy a switch guaranteed to fit the OEM triple and plugs directly into the wiring harness. Handlebar switches same thing, I don't feel like researching and buying individual waterproof momentary switches and hacking harnesses. So when Yamaha themselves do the engineering and offer all the parts together I can just buy them all from one supplier and they all are known to work together.

Money is the big reason not to go this route, you can save a few bucks hand picking where you want to spend more or less to fit a budget. For me personally the time is far more valuable than the slight savings so I'd personally prefer to just order it and not have to worry about it or figure it out. Parts arrive, they get bolted on and I'm back on the track.

Just my $0.02 and all of this again is personal preference and priorities but those are my personal reasons for wanting to just go to a GYTR Supersport page, add all to cart (except bodywork) which BTW I'm confident will be Sharkskinz bodywork. Hopefully I don't offend anyone with my response I'm just sharing my personal perspective, opinion and experience. I used to race an SV650 first gen many years ago so I know exactly how painful it can be when parts being used aren't "designed" for the bike. They work for sure, but I'm too old now to be dealing with that. Exactly why I bought the R7 I knew they'd put together a package that I could just buy and throw on and it's ready to go. The track time and using the bike are where I want my available free time to be spent. There is NO wrong way to prep a bike though. Heck, you can for track use just tape up the lights and call it a day. I've done it and there is nothing wrong with that at all.
No offense taken, I was genuinely curious!!! I am trying to build my first race bike out of the R7 so I'm learning. I do agree with your "I'm too old to be dealing with that", it made me laugh out loud. I've had discussions many times with friends about aftermarket parts not fitting like they should. I get it! I'm also on the "I don't have a ton of money to spend" train, so I have to pick and choose which parts :) Thank you for your detailed response!

41 - 60 of 74 Posts