Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Agreed, I actually think the stock R7 is kinda ugly, but I haven't been a fan of the latest R6/R1 styling either. I'm also annoyed it looks so similar to the R1 from behind people don't realize they just got passed by 65hp. :LOL:

Pretty excited to get mine painted, although man it's a lot of work...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Agreed, I actually think the stock R7 is kinda ugly, but I haven't been a fan of the latest R6/R1 styling either. I'm also annoyed it looks so similar to the R1 from behind people don't realize they just got passed by 65hp. :LOL:

Pretty excited to get mine painted, although man it's a lot of work...
Funny I had a control rider tell me he thought it was an R1 because of how it pulled off the corners 😂

Here is a shot of current rectifier mount but I think I’m going to move it. The heat I think would be too much here.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

And it’s still early lots left to do but I’m happy with how it’s turning out so far.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
This was taken from the fz07.org forums and is the location I'm considering moving the rectifier to. You can see though that our bikes have a little less room in this area. So might be a tight fit or require some other mods to get it all to work together in this location.
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Rim

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you're looking for a solution like that you may want to try just ordering the lower from Sharkskiz (Don't get dzus fasteners) then see if you can modify that to align with the stock upper. I think that would be easier than trying to get something from scratch.
I've thought about that too, and talked to them about it, the shape is a bit different they said, they did not think it would match up. But maybe I'll try it and piece it together. The worst case is it does not line up and I have to buy the rest individually. I was thinking of doing the tail section by itself as well since the OEM tail pieces are not available from Yamaha and they do not know when they will be. At least the right side is not available.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've thought about that too, and talked to them about it, the shape is a bit different they said, they did not think it would match up. But maybe I'll try it and piece it together. The worst case is it does not line up and I have to buy the rest individually. I was thinking of doing the tail section by itself as well since the OEM tail pieces are not available from Yamaha and they do not know when they will be. At least the right side is not available.
Well I do have the tail section available 😉

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Loving the paint job man. I'm surprised you have the patience to keep mounting it all back up before painting each color. Or are those decals?
It's all paint except for the the horizontal black lines (those are actually electrical tape). Mounting it and seeing it helps me figure out what I want to do next and keeps me motivated to keep going. It's getting very close now. I'm still waiting for GYTR to offer the akro exhaust. Waiting on the gold logos for the tank and then still need to order gold wheels. But the clear is on and the number plates are on.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well I hope you're not racing in AFM because I'm probably just going to copy your paintjob. I was thinking of a red/black/white scheme similar to the new 60th anniversary edition and I think you nailed it. And in a way that won't be super difficult to paint too! Wish we could do something about the wheels - I may paint those as well, I have some red POR15 laying around....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Well I hope you're not racing in AFM because I'm probably just going to copy your paintjob. I was thinking of a red/black/white scheme similar to the new 60th anniversary edition and I think you nailed it. And in a way that won't be super difficult to paint too! Wish we could do something about the wheels - I may paint those as well, I have some red POR15 laying around....
I’ll be doing CCS Midwest so I don’t think show up with the same bike at the same event 😂

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Good thing I am on the west coast because I really like that paint too! LOL
😆 It isn't as though it was my own design anyway. It is just my poor knock off of the 60th anniversary and they say that "Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery" so have at it guys. I look forward to seeing how they come out. I will warn you those red stripes are much harder than they appear. Even mine I have to kind of ignore it from certain angles. Trying to get both horizontal and vertical aligned and the same on both sides isn't easy. Here's the before/after shot.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Photograph

·
Registered
197 Posts
😆 It isn't as though it was my own design anyway. It is just my poor knock off of the 60th anniversary and they say that "Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery" so have at it guys. I look forward to seeing how they come out. I will warn you those red stripes are much harder than they appear. Even mine I have to kind of ignore it from certain angles. Trying to get both horizontal and vertical aligned and the same on both sides isn't easy. Here's the before/after shot.

View attachment 370
I really like the 60Th coloring. Not enough to have waited to get one. Maybe I just need another bike? LOL

21 - 40 of 74 Posts