Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
a d m i n
‘23 R7 in Black, inbound!
64 Posts
No upgrades, I tried with the stock stuff to get it somewhat reasonable for the time being. Even with stock internals I should have had some improvements, I'm sure the bike will be solid with the proper suspension upgrades.
Ahh, ok.
Clearly, there is only so much that can be accomplished on a $9K moto wt stock suspension, as it’s not an $18K Superbike like your new R1, so in a sense, one gets what one pays for, yes? ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Exactly, I think alot of my displeasure came from comparing it to my R6 and other bikes of my past.

I'm not trying to discouraged anyone from getting one, I just wish Yamaha would have gotten a few more ponies out of it to separate the motor from the MT07, and did something a little different with suspension , I dont think people would have had a problem paying 9500 to 10k for it.

Anyways I can talk about it at length.

I did notice you have a 2023 coming in when are you going to see it?

·
a d m i n
‘23 R7 in Black, inbound!
64 Posts
Exactly, I think alot of my displeasure came from comparing it to my R6 and other bikes of my past.

I'm not trying to discouraged anyone from getting one, I just wish Yamaha would have gotten a few more ponies out of it to separate the motor from the MT07, and did something a little different with suspension , I dont think people would have had a problem paying 9500 to 10k for it.

Anyways I can talk about it at length.

I did notice you have a 2023 coming in when are you going to see it?
I was 3rd on a list, and now I seem to be #1, so potentially, I could have it next month. Fingers crossed!

most of my friends that I ride with have newer R1’s & love them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was 3rd on a list, and now I seem to be #1, so potentially, I could have it next month. Fingers crossed!

most of my friends that I ride with have newer R1’s & love them.
Congrats, ride the hell out if it and enjoy it. Post up pics when you get.

If you need rearsets, a radiator guard or a windscreen, I know a guy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
J D,

When it came to the suspension, I had tried everything and no matter what I did it didn't feel any different, couple that with the other upgrades I had already done I was pissed. I couldn't in good conscience throw anymore money at it. I cut my losses and moved on.

I'm not saying it's a bad bike, it just wasn't for me, I bought it thinking I would use if for my daily commute over my r6 due to being more street friendly in regards to usable torque That wasn't the case. I had it for 3months and had 504 miles when I traded it.

There are two separate but related issues with the R7 "suspension". First and what most folks think about, is that the stock forks and shock are lacking in damping and damping adjustability. Its why people install cartridges in the forks and a new, fully adjustable shock. But if that is all you do, you're not addressing the second, arguably more significant issue, which is the chassis geometry. This second issue is addressed by new triple clamps with offset between 24-28mm (changes front trail based on personal taste and feel), new shock linkage that makes for a more neary linear spring rate at the rear wheel and greater swing arm angle, and a longer shock than stock. Both sets of changes can create an excellent handling motorcycle for everyone except the top third of the MA Twins Cup grid. If you're capable of going that fast, you discover the frame itself is too flexible to provide the same level of feedback from the tires you get with a more rigid frame (think Aprilia 660).

21 - 27 of 27 Posts