Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

I live in the Bay Area, CA - picked up my R7 last month and am slowly developing it into a racebike. I plan to race it in AFM next season, and am spending the rest of this season shaking it down at track days. I love it so far!

I'm particularly interested in swapping notes and discussing the bike with other people intending to race in LWTs or just do a lot of track days, huge bonus if you're also in CA.

:geek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello, I just started riding. Had a Honda CBR500R, riding a R7 now I purchased in July. I am looking to ride at the track, but dont have experience on the track. I am in nor cal, located about 20 miles north of Sacramento in Plumas Lake. What local tracks do you ride at?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I plan on doing a bunch of track riding with mine. I know there are others, too. Look forward to following.

I've heard recs to get braided brake lines / new pads when possible/available.

Several of us are also looking into quickshifter modules for GP shift if you're into that, also. I started a thread on it with some info.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello, I just started riding. Had a Honda CBR500R, riding a R7 now I purchased in July. I am looking to ride at the track, but dont have experience on the track. I am in nor cal, located about 20 miles north of Sacramento in Plumas Lake. What local tracks do you ride at?
I spend most of my time at Thunderhill, super fun track. Sonoma (more expensive and in worse condition) and Laguna Seca (even more expensive, and with db restrictions in place) are the other Norcal tracks, and Buttonwillow to the south is an option as well. Lucky we have so many tracks relatively close! I'm new to the area so I haven't even ridden anywhere besides Thunderhill yet, but I'm doing a Sonoma day soon.

I've been riding at the track for years and years, let me know how I can help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Awesome, yea I forgot about Thunderhill. Thats in Willows, about 70 miles away from me. Do you have any information as to when they have open track, or times when beginner riders can be on the track? Have you disabled all the lighting on your R7 yet for track days? If so how did you go about it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, yea I forgot about Thunderhill. Thats in Willows, about 70 miles away from me. Do you have any information as to when they have open track, or times when beginner riders can be on the track? Have you disabled all the lighting on your R7 yet for track days? If so how did you go about it?
There are a lot of track days, and several good track day providers that do Thunderhill. The easiest way is to just check the calendar here: Event Schedule — Thunderhill Raceway Park

You're looking for Carter's, PTT (Pacific Track Time), Z2, Fun Track Dayz, 2Wheel Track Addiction. Those are the main providers, most of the other things you'll see on the calendar are for cars. All track day providers use a 3-format system - 20 minutes each hour for each group: Novice (C), Intermediate (B), Advanced (A). Most even offer schools and/or coaching for first time riders. Definitely sign up for Novice if it's your first time at the track. I'd also recommend bringing a trailer - riding home afterwards is exhausting, riding at the track is surprisingly physical. Bring lots of food and water and ideally something for some shade like an EZ-UP.

I've already taken all the lights off of my R7, but you can either pull the fuses to disable them or just tape them over. Rules vary by trackday provider, some don't require lights to be disabled at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are a lot of track days, and several good track day providers that do Thunderhill. The easiest way is to just check the calendar here: Event Schedule — Thunderhill Raceway Park

You're looking for Carter's, PTT (Pacific Track Time), Z2, Fun Track Dayz, 2Wheel Track Addiction. Those are the main providers, most of the other things you'll see on the calendar are for cars. All track day providers use a 3-format system - 20 minutes each hour for each group: Novice (C), Intermediate (B), Advanced (A). Most even offer schools and/or coaching for first time riders. Definitely sign up for Novice if it's your first time at the track. I'd also recommend bringing a trailer - riding home afterwards is exhausting, riding at the track is surprisingly physical. Bring lots of food and water and ideally something for some shade like an EZ-UP.

I've already taken all the lights off of my R7, but you can either pull the fuses to disable them or just tape them over. Rules vary by trackday provider, some don't require lights to be disabled at all.
Awesome, thank you for all the information. I appreciate it. If your ever in the Sacramento area riding let me know, im always looking to ride whenever I can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts