Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2022R7
78 Posts
I assume it's because the IRC can be set up for push or pull and the GYTR can't.
It doesn't auto blip the throttle tho on downshifts right? So kinda overkill to have downshifts on there cuz let's be honest downshift is one of the best parts of having a aftermarket exhaust like the Yoshi pipe. That's where all the backfires and popping happens lol Yamaha QS works just fine and is made for the R7. I'd go with the one that all of Yamahas money behind it for research over another aftermarket replica

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
I think the person wants GP (reverse) shift… and the Yamaha can’t do that.

it’s the only reason I am not going with the Yamaha. If you’re taking it to the track GP shift is really nice.

So it’s not QS for the auto blip / downshift. It’s using QS to upshift, except you’re pushing down to upshift.

·
Registered
2022R7
78 Posts
Yeah I know what GP shift is it's just seems pointless to use something else when Yamaha put all the money and research into this specific QS. Gp shift is fun if you've tried it but at the same time none of us are Valentino Rossi lmao I'd rather use the regular shift pattern since that's what I use everyday, instead of having to get muscle memory of a whole new shift pattern just for the track. Kinda pointless to me but to each his own. Take it easy....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah I know what GP shift is it's just seems pointless to use something else when Yamaha put all the money and research into this specific QS. Gp shift is fun if you've tried it but at the same time none of us are Valentino Rossi lmao I'd rather use the regular shift pattern since that's what I use everyday, instead of having to get muscle memory of a whole new shift pattern just for the track. Kinda pointless to me but to each his own. Take it easy....
That is a valid point, I have the track bikes, except the R3 because it is not possible with stock parts, set up for GP, the other bikes set up regular. I do occasionally hop off one bike and onto another and F up my shift every now and then, but it usually just takes one time for the muscle memory to take over. When I decide on a rear set or change to the R3 it will be GP.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
OK, sorry, I didn't mean to over-explain - I thought you were confused on GP shift, but it sounds like you just don't really see the point. I get that. To be fair, many aftermarket, non-Yamaha parts are awesome... hence the 'mods' threads etc. And if their part doesn't have all of the functionality, then it's just necessary to go to another company. 🤷‍♀️ If their QS allowed GP shift, I'd get it without a second thought.

On the track, GP shift is just so much easier in my opinion. When you're exiting a corner and need to upshift, you just press down instead of having to worm your foot under the pedal or shift your body position. When you're accelerating down a straight it's nice to just be pushing down as you go, keeping your body tucked. When you're downshifting you're usually slowing so it's physically easier to get the foot underneath then. I think I'm just used to it, because we've had several bikes with it. For the bikes that we ride both street / track, we just keep it that way on the street.

I actually don't know why 'normal' gearing is set the way it is... (maybe just because up = up?). GP shift now just makes sense to my brain. That being said, I totally, 100% get not wanting to mess with what you're used to, or to second guess what's happening when you're on the street vs. track.

To each their own. I prefer GP shift option, you prefer normal shift. I prefer a black bike, you prefer a blue one. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I should add - my husband is the one that convinced me re: GP shift. I used to think it was silly and un-necessary, but then started riding his bike with it on the track. And that's how he won me over to it. (Shh, don't let him know I think he was right.)

So I totally understand your perspective.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've been riding my Zero with a left hand operated rear brake and it feels natural now. The feedback is so much better that I won't be going back to the pedal. Consequently, my feet have nothing do and twice while riding my other bikes, I forgot to downshift when coming to a quick stop. Usually, it's not a problem because the Zero feels more like a bicycle than a motorcycle. A GP shift thrown into the mix would really screw me up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I've been riding my Zero with a left hand operated rear brake and it feels natural now. The feedback is so much better that I won't be going back to the pedal. Consequently, my feet have nothing do and twice while riding my other bikes, I forgot to downshift when coming to a quick stop. Usually, it's not a problem because the Zero feels more like a bicycle than a motorcycle. A GP shift thrown into the mix would really screw me up.
I can see how it would! Getting used to a left hand rear brake would be a challenge, but I guess it's like a bicycle in that way, like you say.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A bicycle on steroids! 285 lbs, 46 HP and 78 ft-lbs TQ from 0 rpm on up.

It's an FX converted to street only with R1 clip-ons and an 18" front rim.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts