Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have heard that the Yamaha GYTR quickshifter can't be modified to GP shift. Is this accurate?

I only want to upshift, I do not need auto blip/down shift. What have you all found that accommodates this if not GYTR?

I saw someone else mention Flash Tune in another thread, so I believe that's an option. If so, which one? Quick search found an MT-07 but not R7 option - is that the one?

Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You can't have auto-blip without throttle by wire so it wouldn't work in reverse anyway. You need a shifter with the rod joint above the pivot for what you're trying to do.

·
Registered
2022R7
78 Posts
I have the Yamaha quick shifter on mine and no you can't auto blip down shift. There is also no quick shifters for the R7 that offer that as of right now. There's only 1 other quick shifter on the market besides Yamaha and they do the same thing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, plesae excuse my lack of understanding here - to clarify, I do NOT want auto blip.

I want GP shift with a quickshifter.

Are you saying that because you can not auto blip with the 2 currently available QS options, that GP shift won't work? Or did you misread my original post thinking that I wanted auto blip?

·
Registered
10 Posts
From what I have read, the factory/GYR quick-shifter will not work with a GP shift pattern because the bike it is pre-programmed to take the factory quick-shifter - probably to make it east enough for dealers to install as an add-on, so I imagine an ECU tune would be necessary/the only way to get this to work?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so it might just be too early at this point.... I'm sure there will be eventual options.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The switch triggers a very brief power break via the ECU. The Flash Tune switch is a Push/Pull, it works both ways to make auto blip functional on bikes that use it.
The factory QS switch is Push only (shifter is pushing up) when activated. The electrical "break" in the ECU is the same. If you had a long enough harness, I am wonder why the factory QS can't work if it was installed upside down? Of course the part where the shift linkage attaches to the motor needs to be reversed to the opposite side, there should be plenty of room for that.

With the Flash Tune switch wired for Push or Pull, however you install it, it works perfect. Mine is set for Pull.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahhh, so the Flash Tune is a switch that enables push AND pull.

And you have it installed with the Yamaha QS? Or another QS?

Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ahhh, so the Flash Tune is a switch that enables push AND pull.

And you have it installed with the Yamaha QS? Or another QS?

Thanks!
With the factory QS ECU program.

I installed the switch, held it shifting up to keep the switch engaged, turned the key from off to run, QS appeared on the dash and it worked. The same factory switch enablemeant process.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm really clueless when it comes to certain aspects of tweaking here... is the QS ECU program the same / packaged with the ECU reflash that you would get with an exhaust system? Or is it something separate?

In the past when we've converted bikes to GP shift (Panigale, Ninja 400) it's been pretty straightforward and just a matter of parts... but those bikes weren't brand spanking new, either. :) Our only other Yamaha is a race set up R6 but it came with GP shift.

Thanks for your patience.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm really clueless when it comes to certain aspects of tweaking here... is the QS ECU program the same / packaged with the ECU reflash that you would get with an exhaust system? Or is it something separate?

In the past when we've converted bikes to GP shift (Panigale, Ninja 400) it's been pretty straightforward and just a matter of parts... but those bikes weren't brand spanking new, either. :) Our only other Yamaha is a race set up R6 but it came with GP shift.

Thanks for your patience.
The mecnical change is straightforward, flipping the shift lever where it connects to the shift shaft on the engine to the opposite side. The ECU is already programmed, no flash is required, just plug in and engage a QS switch, when you turn the key to on a couple seconds later QS shows on the dash.

It's a switch, on or off, I would think you wouldn't even need a switch actually in place to enable, just close the circuit and turn the key.

With QS enabled, when the ECU detects the circuit closed (switch engaged), it very briefly cuts power to the engine which the way things work and with the proper amount of pressure on the shift lever it synchronizes and shifts. It's really very simple, and nice that it was designed to be so easy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thank you for that explanation!

I don't see a kit from Flash Tune for the R7. Did you use the MT-07 one?
It was a pre-release proprietary locked version, you can't see the details. It might be, I don't know if changes were made but then why lock it. It definitely made a difference. We were going t try anther version the weekend I crashed on the track so it didn't happen.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For others who might come upon this thread, I've confirmed that the HealTech and Annitori QS modules will work on the R7.

For HealTech, the part number is iQSE-1 / QSH-P2A

For Annitori, you'd use the MT-07 base, but they weren't sure the standard shift rod length option was the same. Since I don't have the bike yet, I can't confirm the length, but their website has instructions on how to measure. (They also said they'd be happy to help.)

·
Registered
89 Posts
For others who might come upon this thread, I've confirmed that the HealTech and Annitori QS modules will work on the R7.

For HealTech, the part number is iQSE-1 / QSH-P2A

For Annitori, you'd use the MT-07 base, but they weren't sure the standard shift rod length option was the same. Since I don't have the bike yet, I can't confirm the length, but their website has instructions on how to measure. (They also said they'd be happy to help.)
That was a concern of mine. I know a few people with MT 07 and the stock foteg location on the R7 is back a bit further. I am using a standard Flash Tune rod kit but I'd much rather have a sibgle rod.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought the below QS but I'm waiting on the Flashtune version before I install it. I was hoping to get one that'd just utilize the stock ECU & connection and the one I bought does not. It's not a huge deal but it'd just be cleaner to utilize the stock harness. I think FTECU's will so I'm holding out to see what theirs offers. I've reached out to them and they said they are just waiting to ensure fitment before they release the QS for the R7. I'm trying to be patient...

IRC

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought the below QS but I'm waiting on the Flashtune version before I install it. I was hoping to get one that'd just utilize the stock ECU & connection and the one I bought does not. It's not a huge deal but it'd just be cleaner to utilize the stock harness. I think FTECU's will so I'm holding out to see what theirs offers. I've reached out to them and they said they are just waiting to ensure fitment before they release the QS for the R7. I'm trying to be patient...

IRC
I'm not sure what their delay is, they know it's been installed and is working. It was the Flash Tune that walked me through the ECU enabling process.

·
Registered
2022R7
78 Posts

IRC
Why didn't you just get the Yamaha QS?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts