Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
After riding a 1998 Shadow for my first 6 months of riding, I wanted to make the switch to sport bikes. An R7 seemed like a more beginner-friendly middleweight bike and i was able to get a 2022 in performance black this last Thursday. After riding 150 miles this first weekend, am falling in love with this thing. Looks amazing and rides even better. Still waiting for the quick shifter and fender eliminator to come in but hopefully soon. The only complaint I have is how the exhaust welds look like they weren’t even cleaned up from the factory. Spatter everywhere and inconsistent beads, salesman at the dealership agreed with me but didn’t have another option but to deal with it till I paint it black or wait until dynojet releases a power commander for an aftermarket kit. Just wondering if this just happened to me or if this is common from yamaha?

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Where did the welds look bad? I never noticed that on mine, and I'd go look but the stock exhaust is gone. I would assume it's automated process welding it and it's done by a machine, but they should still check it to clean it up. Maybe it is done by hand, but then you would think the person doing it would know it needs some attention.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Where did the welds look bad? I never noticed that on mine, and I'd go look but the stock exhaust is gone. I would assume it's automated process welding it and it's done by a machine, but they should still check it to clean it up. Maybe it is done by hand, but then you would think the person doing it would know it needs some attention.
They're bad. Monro muffler bad.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello all,
After riding a 1998 Shadow for my first 6 months of riding, I wanted to make the switch to sport bikes. An R7 seemed like a more beginner-friendly middleweight bike and i was able to get a 2022 in performance black this last Thursday. After riding 150 miles this first weekend, am falling in love with this thing. Looks amazing and rides even better. Still waiting for the quick shifter and fender eliminator to come in but hopefully soon. The only complaint I have is how the exhaust welds look like they weren’t even cleaned up from the factory. Spatter everywhere and inconsistent beads, salesman at the dealership agreed with me but didn’t have another option but to deal with it till I paint it black or wait until dynojet releases a power commander for an aftermarket kit. Just wondering if this just happened to me or if this is common from yamaha?
Haha. I went out last night when it was damp. The cat definitely got some water on it. When I looked the bike over this morning I noticed light surface rust on the welds, and that the welds are rather unsightly. I'm swapping the exhaust out next season. With the stock exhaust off I'm going to see about getting it cleaned up and professionally painted in case I ever want to put it back on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
they are hand welded by people who DGAF. If it were me or any of my guys, it would be ground out and re welded or somebody's ass is getting fired. nobody takes pride in their work anymore. Id be honored to weld for Yamaha and my welds would prove it. That being said, Im sure it had to got thru QA??? Just ridiculous. buy a brand new bike with welds you can hang meat on SMDH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts