Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I wasn’t planning on making an account on this forum just yet, but unfortunately I feel as though it is necessary to explain my problem and see what everyone has to say. Got my baby back in October, just hit 60 miles on it, and something odd happened while I was riding today. I shifted up into 3rd and got up to about 5k rpms (which is the highest I will go during break-in period), and the engine shut off on me. The oil light came on which I think might come on before you start it, I’m blanking now but anyways that was what I noticed. I don’t have a single leak and my oil is perfectly fine. I let it sit for a few minutes on a side street, begging I wouldn’t have to push my bike all the way back home. Started it and it cranked one time and then didn’t crank almost like a dead or dying battery. Let it sit for another minute and she cranked right up no problems, no oil light, no funny sounds. I’m wondering if this only happened because I only let it warm up about 2-5 min before I went off on my ride, but the engine cut off after no more than 60 seconds into my ride. I’m in NY so it’s been pretty cold, and she was sitting for just under 2 weeks since I rode her last. Anyone experience anything similar or can give me an idea of what might’ve happened? Thank you guys so much, safe (and warm) riding to all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
[..]’m wondering if this only happened because I only let it warm up about 2-5 min before I went off on my ride, [..]
Letting warm up the bike is so 80s. Do not believe people telling you something like that. except some elder guys from Alaska or Siberia, but those as well drain the oil over nicht and keep it warm on the fire place.

This said, fire up your bike, maximum the gloves as a short lagging and go off for your ride. What may has happened that it just stalled on the first meters, engine off and the oil light comes on.
So do not worry, even that the restart was a little slow.

Yamaha's two cylinders with injection are sometimes a bit cantankerous on just a little warm engine and stalling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts