Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner

Not quite the weight saving I’d hoped for..

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  romydgreen 
#1 ·
First of all, I changed my sprockets and chain because they were PIG UGLY.

Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive tire

So after purchasing a new DID chain (£140!!) and two new sprockets (same tooth setup) I was excited for the visual upgrade, but also expecting a solid weight reduction.

New setup looks the dogs danglies..!!!

Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycle Bicycle tire

Font Rectangle Gear Circle Pattern

And as happy as I really am. I was expecting a little more than a 0.5 KG weight reduction. Especially as my rear sprocket is a race sprocket that’ll probably get me no more than 3,000 miles (according to the mechanic who fitted it).

Original Sprockets & chain - 3KG
Upgraded Sprockets & chain - 2.5KG

Just thought I’d share this with you guys and would be interested in any comments or opinions.

Oh and just quickly, the chain Protection device near the rear sprocket (that catches the chain if it falls off) was removed and not refitted. So that’s further reason the new setup should have been even lighter!!

See less See more
#2 ·
So I guess its just a numbers game, yes the chain might be a little narrower width but still a weighty item being similar material to stock, as is the front sprocket.
Rear being an aluminium item, it the one place to make any weight savings and being just 1 of the 3 items it may be a lot lighter than the stock item but it cant do much to the overall package.

Its something, and every little helps. My first weight loss journey would probably be a lithium battery, that in terms of percentage gains is a lot nicer numbers :)

Anyway it looks way better too :D

#3 ·
Maybe I was just expecting a little too much. I thought at least a solid 1/1.2KG.

Im struggling to want to spend anymore money on the R7 as I’m anticipating an R9 at the end of the year (I’ll probably still end up getting the bloody lithium ion battery). Good thing with the lightweight battery is the weights fairly high up.

Anyone have any links to some quality titanium gold bolts for the rear sprocket? I’ve seen plenty out there, just unsure on the correct size and most importantly.. quality

#5 ·
I brought the R7 new with the Akra but had to wait a few weeks for the Akra to arrive and be fitted. The difference in weight was ridiculous. Stock exhausts are absolutely pathetic (weight and sound wise).
Currently running a full Akra, DNA intake, Tune from PCR Racing. Couldn’t be happier with what I’m getting from the CP2 engine.

#6 ·
Half a kilogram less in rotating weight (all the weight for the chain and sprockets is rotating weight) is appreciable. The only other options for reducing rotating weight are wheels, brake discs , and tires (there are some surprisingly large differences between brands and models of tires). I wouldn't bother with titanium fastners for discs or rear sprocket (although I've used them on various race bikes); they are very high cost for what you save in weight. Forged aluminum wheels will save you over a kg and make the bike feel and act much more agile, but they many multiples of what you spent on chain and sprockets ($2950 U.S. dollars without discs).

#7 ·
I think the rear sprocket wear will be fine if you keep it lubed up. A change to an aluminium one might get another 150-200gms off though and if you get a pretty gold anodised one it will look even nicer if you like gold!

I have 6000 miles on an aluminium rear sprocket on a 1200 Thruxton that is also now 520 size and it's fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.