Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks - figured this is a good time to finally make a post with an introduction. I contacted my local dealer at the beginning of the month and put a $500 deposit down on the first R7 they'd receive in Performance Black; the dealership placed an order for me with Yamaha and let me know that it went through, but there was no ETA for when it would come in. Yesterday morning I received a call from my sales guy that he came in to see my bike being built and sent me a pic just after they got it finished! I'll be picking it up within the week and am awaiting the quick-shifter to be delivered for it which will be installed.

I have been riding for exactly four years now - got my endorsement in June 2017 and purchased my black 2016 Honda CBR300R new one-month later from the same dealership. I did a lot to that bike in terms of modifications and believe it was the perfect bike for a new rider to learn on, esp. for me as I'm a shorter rider living in a traffic-dense city - I will be very sad to sell that bike and hope it goes to a newer rider, so they can gain the same riding experience and confidence that it had instilled in me, and can appreciate all the riding comforts and goodies it'll come with that I added to it in my time of ownership.

I've been researching and watching any video/review I could get my hands on about this bike when I had found out about it back in May the same week the pre-orders had been released and sold-out. It truly seems like to perfect fit for me and my riding style and the perfect compromise as the latest R6 was my dream bike; I came close to pulling the trigger on a 2020 R6 in Raven a few times, but could not ignore the fact that between my height and the vast majority of my riding being intracity (coupled with the upper echelon of insurance premium) - it just didn't make sense.

Despite that, I was willing to look past all of it and not settle, but the real reason that held me back from the R6 was knowing that the R6 would likely make me a worse rider even if I got used to it and put the money into the necessary modifications to try to help me feel somewhat comfortable on it and be able to handle it. Even if I got used to the R6, I knew it would essentially make me a worse rider - I would likely always feel some level of tension or worry about my lack of ground-reach and low-speed maneuvers. I would rarely be able to ride it in a situation where the engine felt happy and the bike stable.

I felt truly connected to my CBR300R - like it was an extension of my own body and was able to grow so much as a rider, and I want stepping up to a bigger bike mean that I will continue to improve my skills as a rider, and ensure motorcycling continues to be something I love (not something that would make me nervous or avoid riding.) I did a long test ride for both the 2018 and Kawasaki Ninja 650 and the updated 2020 version in the past two years, and although I could handle the bike well and it was a good next bike - it just didn't feel like a sport bike or the bike that would make me happy; I began to wonder if I'd go yet another year without upgrading to a bigger bike that I've been ready for when I found out about the new R7 - again, every review post/video I have seen has been overwhelmingly positive in all the ways I could hope for. I will miss my little CBR300R, but it is good to feel the level of excitement and confidence going to the R7 that so far all of the options I've considered over these past two years have left me wanting for.

Apologies for the unintentionally long post - throwing in a pic of my CBR300R and hopefully many more pics of the R7 when it comes home in a few days - thanks for reading, folks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Folks - figured this is a good time to finally make a post with an introduction. I contacted my local dealer at the beginning of the month and put a $500 deposit down on the first R7 they'd receive in Performance Black; the dealership placed an order for me with Yamaha and let me know that it went through, but there was no ETA for when it would come in. Yesterday morning I received a call from my sales guy that he came in to see my bike being built and sent me a pic just after they got it finished! I'll be picking it up within the week and am awaiting the quick-shifter to be delivered for it which will be installed.

View attachment 85

I have been riding for exactly four years now - got my endorsement in June 2017 and purchased my black 2016 Honda CBR300R new one-month later from the same dealership. I did a lot to that bike in terms of modifications and believe it was the perfect bike for a new rider to learn on, esp. for me as I'm a shorter rider living in a traffic-dense city - I will be very sad to sell that bike and hope it goes to a newer rider, so they can gain the same riding experience and confidence that it had instilled in me, and can appreciate all the riding comforts and goodies it'll come with that I added to it in my time of ownership.

I've been researching and watching any video/review I could get my hands on about this bike when I had found out about it back in May the same week the pre-orders had been released and sold-out. It truly seems like to perfect fit for me and my riding style and the perfect compromise as the latest R6 was my dream bike; I came close to pulling the trigger on a 2020 R6 in Raven a few times, but could not ignore the fact that between my height and the vast majority of my riding being intracity (coupled with the upper echelon of insurance premium) - it just didn't make sense.

Despite that, I was willing to look past all of it and not settle, but the real reason that held me back from the R6 was knowing that the R6 would likely make me a worse rider even if I got used to it and put the money into the necessary modifications to try to help me feel somewhat comfortable on it and be able to handle it. Even if I got used to the R6, I knew it would essentially make me a worse rider - I would likely always feel some level of tension or worry about my lack of ground-reach and low-speed maneuvers. I would rarely be able to ride it in a situation where the engine felt happy and the bike stable.

I felt truly connected to my CBR300R - like it was an extension of my own body and was able to grow so much as a rider, and I want stepping up to a bigger bike mean that I will continue to improve my skills as a rider, and ensure motorcycling continues to be something I love (not something that would make me nervous or avoid riding.) I did a long test ride for both the 2018 and Kawasaki Ninja 650 and the updated 2020 version in the past two years, and although I could handle the bike well and it was a good next bike - it just didn't feel like a sport bike or the bike that would make me happy; I began to wonder if I'd go yet another year without upgrading to a bigger bike that I've been ready for when I found out about the new R7 - again, every review post/video I have seen has been overwhelmingly positive in all the ways I could hope for. I will miss my little CBR300R, but it is good to feel the level of excitement and confidence going to the R7 that so far all of the options I've considered over these past two years have left me wanting for.

View attachment 86

Apologies for the unintentionally long post - throwing in a pic of my CBR300R and hopefully many more pics of the R7 when it comes home in a few days - thanks for reading, folks!
Congratulations on the (soon to be) new R7 @Ammunition it looks fantastic! From all the reviews and videos you saw about the R7 what specifically from those reviews convinced you that this was the new bike for you?

I can't wait to hear how you find living with it compared to the CBR300R.

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha YZF-R7 “Blurple” ; formerly 2001 Suzuki TL1000R Yellow ; ordered 2022 Honda Grom Yellow.
44 Posts
Exciting times @Ammunition. I preordered mine in the first 15 or 20 minutes after it went live on Yamaha's website. The dealer today told me that they are expecting the truck at any moment for my unit. I got a blue one.

For me I've been waiting to downsize from 20 years of superbike twins(TL1000R's). Looking forward to the middle-weight super-sport twin the R7 is. This should have happened years ago with a freshening up of Suzuki's SV650S, but they dropped the ball there. Very happy to buy a Yamaha for this configuration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congratulations on the (soon to be) new R7 @Ammunition it looks fantastic! From all the reviews and videos you saw about the R7 what specifically from those reviews convinced you that this was the new bike for you?

I can't wait to hear how you find living with it compared to the CBR300R.
Thanks @Poket-Rocket - the reoccurring themes/points in the reviews and research I've done that I found convincing was how easy the bike is to ride and handle in terms of being flickable and fun (much like my CBR, but with an appropriate amount of power that doesn't make you question whether or not you should be on a highway), how the majority of the power is all there (usable) due to all the torque being in the mid-range - meaning that the bike will feel stable and confident-inspiring in the majority of riding I end up having to do (slower cornering maneuvers and dense traffic/city streets.) I ended up putting a more progressive/linear aftermarket throttle tube on my CBR to smooth out the throttle response/jerkiness when needing to do tight right-hand turns, etc. since my 300 is a single-cylinder and often felt like it just wanted to putter out at low speeds.

Another main factor that I was thrilled about was how narrow the bike is, meaning ground-reach will be achieved easier esp. as I plan to have the seat re-upholstered as I did with my CBR (which I also went with/felt better on compared to other options because of how narrow the bike was.) According to Yamaha this new R7 is their most aerodynamic model to date!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exciting times @Ammunition. I preordered mine in the first 15 or 20 minutes after it went live on Yamaha's website. The dealer today told me that they are expecting the truck at any moment for my unit. I got a blue one.

For me I've been waiting to downsize from 20 years of superbike twins(TL1000R's). Looking forward to the middle-weight super-sport twin the R7 is. This should have happened years ago with a freshening up of Suzuki's SV650S, but they dropped the ball there. Very happy to buy a Yamaha for this configuration.
Nice, I'm excited for you @EnjoyTheRideMC! That's awesome you were one of the ones to get a preorder.

I agree with you about the middle-weight class; the big-player super-sports are incredible machines, but were all designed with racing in mind which translated to those bikes being uncomfortable to ride on the street and insurance premiums that made it discouraging or unrealistic for someone wanting to upgrade from their first/beginner bike and rides largely for pleasure.

I am also super stoked about Yamaha producing this model!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks @Poket-Rocket - the reoccurring themes/points in the reviews and research I've done that I found convincing was how easy the bike is to ride and handle in terms of being flickable and fun (much like my CBR, but with an appropriate amount of power that doesn't make you question whether or not you should be on a highway), how the majority of the power is all there (usable) due to all the torque being in the mid-range - meaning that the bike will feel stable and confident-inspiring in the majority of riding I end up having to do (slower cornering maneuvers and dense traffic/city streets.) I ended up putting a more progressive/linear aftermarket throttle tube on my CBR to smooth out the throttle response/jerkiness when needing to do tight right-hand turns, etc. since my 300 is a single-cylinder and often felt like it just wanted to putter out at low speeds.

Another main factor that I was thrilled about was how narrow the bike is, meaning ground-reach will be achieved easier esp. as I plan to have the seat re-upholstered as I did with my CBR (which I also went with/felt better on compared to other options because of how narrow the bike was.) According to Yamaha this new R7 is their most aerodynamic model to date!
How are you planning to reupholster your R7 seat?

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha YZF-R7 “Blurple” ; formerly 2001 Suzuki TL1000R Yellow ; ordered 2022 Honda Grom Yellow.
44 Posts
My Blue R7 arrived today. And its damaged. Dealer/shipper has already initiated their insurance for replacement bodywork, and obviously is of no cost to me. Bike looks to have rattled loose in its crate from left to right during transit. It only has strikes on the left side of the bike. We came to an agreement on how to handle it, and I should be taking it home tonight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My Blue R7 arrived today. And its damaged.
Really sorry to hear that. Is the damage mostly cosmetic? Hope they get it taken care of quickly.

On the other hand, CONGRATULATIONS on finally getting to ride it!

You know we’re going to need an in-depth review as soon as you have a few miles on it!

😃

·
Registered
44 Posts
Really sorry to hear that. Is the damage mostly cosmetic? Hope they get it taken care of quickly.

On the other hand, CONGRATULATIONS on finally getting to ride it!

You know we’re going to need an in-depth review as soon as you have a few miles on it!

😃
Honestly today was such a hectic day. Instead of excitement and happy feelings, it was disappointment and anxiety. hehe.

Things are in process of getting taken care of, but I only drove it 8 miles straight back to my house, just to get it there before murphy threw anything else at me today. Tonight I have some ergo and suspension adjustments to make, as well as starting a notebook for the bike. Might just ride to and from work tomorrow, as tomorrow evening is already full with other things going on. I need to go scrub in the tires and brakes before I really even ride it in a fun way, so I don't throw myself on the ground. hehe

Oh and all be warned In the first number of miles... as some might suspect... there isn't much there for brakes. Be careful on the first ride, not just with scrubbing the tires, but brakes were almost nonexistent the first time I squeezed the lever. lol

I'll type more soon!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Started adjusting things this evening until I started to run out of light. I angled the levers downward so they are more ergonomic. The clutch lever adjusted down fine. I only got to turn the brake lever down a little bit because the brake line banjo bolt runs into the fork. it may take some creative thought to angle it lower, but its ok for the moment.

I'm a big guy at 6'-3" at around 255lbs. The front might just have enough preload ability to get the sag right at the front while still keeping little bit of free sag. I may or may not need springs. I didn't get to the shock as I ran out of light, but I senseI might be able to "eek" out this year without putting money in suspension.

I'll try to drag the brakes a bit tomorrow to bed them in on the way to and from work. Looking forward to seeing what they'll be capable of.

The day is busy tomorrow, so I won't likely get more setup done. I'll write more as soon as I can.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The crates are terrible. The spot welds break during transport. The trucking company is responsible if the bike is damaged when it arrives at it's destination but these crates are clearly defective. It's a long trip from California to our shop here on the east coast. We only got two so far and both have the same broken spot welds and loose tie downs but far less damage than shown above. The plastic middle tank section is the first thing that got hit on both bikes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
@EnjoyTheRideMC - I am so upset to see that your R7 came in damaged, that's just awful. Glad the dealership you're working with was honest about disclosing it and didn't try to get a repair done and sell it to you without full disclosure. Also seeing it in the cage/crate with the wheel and everything on already makes you wonder what exactly you're paying for in "set up" fees, hah.

Glad you came to an agreement and it'll be taken care of - glass half full, maybe it'll get repaired and be behind you and you'll end up with a good amount of savings for the hassle?

That's awesome that you're making adjustments to fit your comfort and needs - I did the same with my CBR300R. So far I've only taken the decals and stickers off of mine and adjusted the rear preload as it was a hectic day getting it home for me as well and a busy Holiday weekend. Pulling off the orange reflectors next. I feel like my handle bars could be raised a bit so my elbows aren't as locked in the current position, but my CBR didn't have any dials/adjustability for the suspension, so not sure if I want to mess with that just yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How are you planning to reupholster your R7 seat?
I got my CBR300R seat done by a woman named Ginger McCabe who lives in the same state that I do. Her company is New Church Moto and she has done seat upholstery for ICON Motorsports and other companies. I designed the seat based on various work she had for view on her Instagram and asked if she could ad a few things I wanted (small zipper on passenger seat for phone/insurance card, a strap for securing a bag or helmet since the bike didn't come with that from the factory) and she nailed it.

The process is you send her your factory seat/seats (if doing passenger seat too.) I simply purchased a new OEM seat since it was cheap enough for the CBR300R and had it shipped to her, so I could still ride my bike while the work was being done. She takes everything out/off of the seat and starts with/uses the OEM base so that proper fitment is ensured and then rebuilds it and does the upholstery based on what you want done - I had her shave as much as she could not only off the top but along the sides as well since I have found the narrowness to be more effective in gaining ground reach than simply taking material off the top. She then replaced the foam such a much denser, higher quality foam so there was no compromise in comfort despite there being less material (the seat she did for me was so, so absurdly comfortable.)

I wanted cross/diamond stitch pattern and black vinyl (she can do leather as well, but I do end up riding in rain at times so the vinyl was a better choice for me) and asked if she could do carbon fiber accents on the side to match the liens of the bike and faux-carbon fiber look of some of the plastics on my bike. She can basically do anything you want and can work with you if you have a design/idea in mind. Her work is truly amazing. If you wanted your seat done the same way, but don't want to spend that much, you could try taking it to an auto or similar upholstery shop and tell them what you want - as long as you use the original seat as the base it should all fit just like OEM.

I'll attach a couple of images to this post of the finished seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Its just a motorcycle. hehe albeit its very cool thing to buy. Having spoken to Yamaha directly, they said they realized they took more risks to try to get product to where it needs to go. Their normal supply chains and services are in shambles. They said that if they didn't at least try these alternate methods, nobody would have gotten bikes this year at all. I appreciate that they are trying, and they are bending over backwards to make it right for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oh and I looked at the shock last night, as I only got a short time yesterday to work on the bike.... The rear shock has a pretty stout spring. It might be a little too stout. Free sag is pretty much completely eliminated with only 2 notches on the preload ramp(it has up to 6). Anything above that, and the suspension is topped out. That means the pilot is often tossed out of the saddle when reversing turns(think chicanes). I think I'm gonna try using the stock suspension hardware for a track day and see how it goes, then I'll spend money if I need to.

I have the fork preload cranked up a bit and the shock preload 2 notches from the bottom. I'm 6'-3" and 250 and I have about 40mm sag in front and 37mm in the rear. If you are my weight or less. You'll be good to go with the stock hardware's adjustability range.

I can reduce the sag further but I'll need to adjust the forks in the triples to make sure the bike still is "leaning forward" a little bit, as a sport bike should on track.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got my CBR300R seat done by a woman named Ginger McCabe who lives in the same state that I do. Her company is New Church Moto and she has done seat upholstery for ICON Motorsports and other companies. I designed the seat based on various work she had for view on her Instagram and asked if she could ad a few things I wanted (small zipper on passenger seat for phone/insurance card, a strap for securing a bag or helmet since the bike didn't come with that from the factory) and she nailed it.

The process is you send her your factory seat/seats (if doing passenger seat too.) I simply purchased a new OEM seat since it was cheap enough for the CBR300R and had it shipped to her, so I could still ride my bike while the work was being done. She takes everything out/off of the seat and starts with/uses the OEM base so that proper fitment is ensured and then rebuilds it and does the upholstery based on what you want done - I had her shave as much as she could not only off the top but along the sides as well since I have found the narrowness to be more effective in gaining ground reach than simply taking material off the top. She then replaced the foam such a much denser, higher quality foam so there was no compromise in comfort despite there being less material (the seat she did for me was so, so absurdly comfortable.)

I wanted cross/diamond stitch pattern and black vinyl (she can do leather as well, but I do end up riding in rain at times so the vinyl was a better choice for me) and asked if she could do carbon fiber accents on the side to match the liens of the bike and faux-carbon fiber look of some of the plastics on my bike. She can basically do anything you want and can work with you if you have a design/idea in mind. Her work is truly amazing. If you wanted your seat done the same way, but don't want to spend that much, you could try taking it to an auto or similar upholstery shop and tell them what you want - as long as you use the original seat as the base it should all fit just like OEM.

I'll attach a couple of images to this post of the finished seat.
She did fantastic work on the seat it looks great! The pattern and stitching really suits the bike.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Its just a motorcycle. hehe albeit its very cool thing to buy. Having spoken to Yamaha directly, they said they realized they took more risks to try to get product to where it needs to go. Their normal supply chains and services are in shambles. They said that if they didn't at least try these alternate methods, nobody would have gotten bikes this year at all. I appreciate that they are trying, and they are bending over backwards to make it right for me.
Well I'm glad to hear everything worked out well. Now that all that has been dealt with how are you enjoying the bike?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts