Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I installed the gytr quick shifter and activated the QS function without problem.

my problem happens while riding. A few times now it’s happened where I go to shift up, and it doesn’t fully change gear.
This is dangerous because it closes my throttle abruptly and causes me to catch my balance.

has anyone else run into this problem? Am I not shifting properly? I have to really jam that gear lever upwards and it doesn’t feel right.

anyways, installed the quick shifter and not liking it as much as I thought I would lol

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They work best at full throttle and with quick, firm pressure on the shifter. You can't be delicate about it because you need to have enough force on the lever to move the shift forks when the QS cuts the power. You might need a longer duration cut-off duration too.
Thank you for the response. I’ll work on a safe way to practice what you suggested. It makes sense when you describe it like that.
For the duration cut-off is that something I can control or do I need a ecu for that?

· Registered
42 Posts
I have the same issues. Full throttle is key for my case as well as a firm shift with my foot. I feel it's just the way on non-ride by wire systems function. I'm installing a 1/4 turn throttle the end of the season to see if that helps.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the same issues. Full throttle is key for my case as well as a firm shift with my foot. I feel it's just the way on non-ride by wire systems function. I'm installing a 1/4 turn throttle the end of the season to see if that helps.
Awesome thank you. I will adjust my shift lever position (I have the Gilles tooling adjustable rearsets) and set it where I can get firm up shifts. I think that’s my problem right now. Too much travel in the lever. Need to figure out how to tighten it.

if I don’t get a firm Up-shift I get sudden throttle close and it’s really scary! It’s freaked me out a couple times now and since then I have been avoiding it lol

· Registered
42 Posts
Adjusting your shifter is essential as well. I can't believe how many years I rode in my early years w/o ever even thinking about adjusting what's available on a stock bike. (levers, shifters, bars, etc...) It makes such a difference.

· Registered
4 Posts
Good afternoon,

New to the group. Picked up my anniversary edition R7 after 5 months waiting. At the time of purchase they did not have the quickshifter kit. I was wondering if it's easy to install. Based on how much they charge for labor, I'm thinking I'd like to save some money and do it myself.

TIA

· Registered
42 Posts
Good afternoon,

New to the group. Picked up my anniversary edition R7 after 5 months waiting. At the time of purchase they did not have the quickshifter kit. I was wondering if it's easy to install. Based on how much they charge for labor, I'm thinking I'd like to save some money and do it myself.

TIA
I had the dealer install it at my 1st service for a nominal fee. I've seen some YT videos of the install and it doesn't look too complicated.

· Registered
4 Posts
I had the dealer install it at my 1st service for a nominal fee. I've seen some YT videos of the install and it doesn't look too complicated.
THX. I have seen Scouts out video on it. It seemed fairly straightforward. I was just wondering if anyone in this forum had done the install. Hoping they could provide insight on what to look out for. I expect the dealer to charge at least 200 for the install plus 200+ for the shifter.

· a d m i n
‘23 R7 in Black, otw.
64 Posts
Although I can’t yet give observations on my soon-to-own R7 @LuckyOctober , but I can tell you that wt my OEM QS on my CBR SP, after sending the ecu off to Dano’s Performance for a flash, my QS, (as well the entire moto in general), worked l o a d s better, and oh so smooth..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts