Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone can help me with this problem.

I was in an accident on my R7 in December and I sent it to a shop to get fixed. They had to replace the left fork and when I got it back this is what I saw. My entire right fork is installed about 1/8th of an inch higher than my right. The entire bike is leaning to the right. I do not want to take it back to that shop and I would rather fix it myself. Can anyone help me and give me tips on how to do this?

Thank you so much.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
You will need that type of stand or something to take the weight of the front. I would only loosen off one forks from the clamp not both. The only thing I would add to what he doesn’t say is run your preload all the way in on both sides and make note of how many turns you go in so when you are finished you can set it back. I don’t use the wheel to check it at first. I just use the axel as a gauge and raise or lower as needed until it’s set like he basically said when it’s lined up it should slide in easily. Also taking off the fender makes it easier

·
Registered
602 Posts
Unless you have a center stand that lifts from the lower triple, bring it to the place that supposedly fixed it. They should fix it and they need to know they messed up. That kind of work is dangerous, as you discovered, the bike doesn't handle right.

Was there always a height difference? Or has it gradually become what it is now? Shocking if they left all the pinch bolts loose enough for that to happen,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unless you have a center stand that lifts from the lower triple, bring it to the place that supposedly fixed it. They should fix it and they need to know they messed up. That kind of work is dangerous, as you discovered, the bike doesn't handle right.

Was there always a height difference? Or has it gradually become what it is now? Shocking if they left all the pinch bolts loose enough for that to happen,
So I managed to fix the problem. I didn't take it back but I did call them and let them know they have serious issues and need to figure it out.

What I did to fix it was measured the distance from the top of the triple tree to the top of the fork tube. I loosened all the pinch bolts attached to the ride side fork and pulled the fork down until it matched the left side. Then simply torqued down the bolts again. I took it out and it rides beautifully.

It was a simple fork move and I didn't have to take the wheel off or anything. It took about 20 minutes max.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone can help me with this problem.

I was in an accident on my R7 in December and I sent it to a shop to get fixed. They had to replace the left fork and when I got it back this is what I saw. My entire right fork is installed about 1/8th of an inch higher than my right. The entire bike is leaning to the right. I do not want to take it back to that shop and I would rather fix it myself. Can anyone help me and give me tips on how to do this?

Thank you so much.
Jesus that is horrible!!!
One thing to do to re settle the forks on place is to get a nice front stand and suspend/ hang the entire front end... loosen triples, keep front axel in the front wheel and becareful the front doesnt drop. this will make sure you dont have a misalignment or twist. adjust to desired height in triples, re-tighten and ride to test under accel and braking to make sure no chatter etc. should be fine.

Or completely dis assemble and make sure the fork legs, triples are NOT bent! this obviously is much more in depth

Reactions: Vansmack

·
Registered
602 Posts
So I managed to fix the problem. I didn't take it back but I did call them and let them know they have serious issues and need to figure it out.
That's horrible. Did they see the pictures of how they let you leave there? How off their work was? That would make me very hesitant to use a dealer like that for repairs, what if it was something you can't readily see? Geez. I won't use the closest dealer to me for this reason, bunch of clowns. And it is a mega dealership and I just do not trust them from past experience. I do most everything myself anyway but you are stuck for warranty or insurance work. Very glad nothing bad happened to you from that. 🙏

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.