Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just purchased a new r7.

Before next season, in NY that is, I intend to install the Spark Grid-0 exhaust system and a DNA air filter.

Is an ECU flash needed to prevent damage or is it just ideal in terms of maximizing power gained from the mods?
Depends if your ecu is setup right or the company tunes their pipes to fit the specs … like yoshimura just recommends flashing … but yoshimura pipes will work without damage if you don’t. Flash … but it’s recommended because your bike could be too Lean or rich

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think the fan is controlled by a thermo switch, not the ECU. If it comes on earlier, doesn't that mean it's getting hotter sooner since it still switches on at the same temperature it did before the flash?
ECU can control temp … so fans can be controlled to kick in earlier

·
Registered
49 Posts
But I still haven’t flashed it and I have a spark exhaust .. sounds better than yoshimura IMO.. but runs great so far … I don’t new technology that you really need to flash just change oil regularly .. it should be fine …

·
Registered
20 Posts
But I still haven’t flashed it and I have a spark exhaust .. sounds better than yoshimura IMO.. but runs great so far … I don’t new technology that you really need to flash just change oil regularly .. it should be fine …
While it should be fine, you just never know. If you took 2 bikes and 1 had a spark exhaust with no tune and the other had a spark exhaust with a tune, i'd be willing to bet that the one with a tune would "last" longer than the one without. Will you ever get to that point? Probably not, but its something to think about. The one with a tune will also have more hp/torque and have it delivered more smoothly.

Oh, and it has nothing to do with oil changes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
While it should be fine, you just never know. If you took 2 bikes and 1 had a spark exhaust with no tune and the other had a spark exhaust with a tune, i'd be willing to bet that the one with a tune would "last" longer than the one without. Will you ever get to that point? Probably not, but its something to think about. The one with a tune will also have more hp/torque and have it delivered more smoothly.

Oh, and it has nothing to do with oil changes.
Very true but I seen someone do a dyno and the out of power wasn’t that much more either … but I think I’m fine with the power it produces so far … maybe after a few 1000 miles I might flash it

21 - 30 of 30 Posts