Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, been around here for a while. Decided to apply membership! Nice forum, starting to fill up information about the bike we all own.

To my question, have anybody fellt that the suspension is just to soft? I weigh 88 kg w.o.g and approximately 100 kg w.g.

And when i go hard on curvy roads i deff bottom out with hard setting on suspension.

So i decided to go for Dave Moss Tuning type of tuning for the front fork, he demostrates it on his own chanel on his home page.

I was totally suprised! It made a huge diffrence on the brake ins and even turning the bike felt totally fresh and responsive to my actions.

Have any other person made this mod yet?
If you have, tell me your experience?

Yet to carve some canyon roads with the new mod. I will report after the canyon trip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, I have followed Dave Moss instructions and it made a huge difference, especially on the front but also on the rear.
I dropped the fork 12 mm through the triple clamp.
I have dialed it for aggressive road use, not track use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@stenakel did you do change the oil in front forks? Considering yamaha fabric oil is 5w, i did run 10w motul oil in both front forks.

Rear is still a struggle for me, cant dial it to my prefrence its to harsh or to soft. I may be that it doesnt have a compression dial that i cant really hit the sweet spot.

I lowered mine by 8 mm, but i will probably go for 12 mm to test it out.

Im not doing track either, also agressive riding on "landsvägar". 😉

·
Registered
6 Posts
No, I did not change the oil, I know Dave mentioned it but he say it need to be revalved, or maybe I misunderstood him.
Did you keep the same oil level as stock?
Regarding the rear shock, I think the best solution is to replace it with a Öhlins YA 589 or YA 585.
YA 585 has only adjustable rebound damping but it maybe a good choice compared to stock.
I would prefer the YA 589 as I have the same type on my Honda SP-1, but it is quite expensive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a dump&run got rouhly 375 ml out per fork, in spec book it says 400ml per fork.

I added 50 ml which brought the totall oil per fork to 425 ml.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I did the crazy math conversion, 100KG equals 220lbs. 😉 I think Japanese bikes are still typically sprung for a rider weighing somewhere around 150lbs. This puts you in he upper end of the stock springs adjustment capabilities. At a minimum, changing the springs to a more fitting spring rate would be beneficial.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did the crazy math conversion, 100KG equals 220lbs. 😉 I think Japanese bikes are still typically sprung for a rider weighing somewhere around 150lbs. This puts you in he upper end of the stock springs adjustment capabilities. At a minimum, changing the springs to a more fitting spring rate would be beneficial.
Thanks Vansmack, i have considered that. Where can i get hold of harder springs. I have been on yamahas homesite for parts but cant find harder springs.

Do you know which aftermarket shop/company sells them?

·
Registered
49 Posts
...I even heard about a Swedish manufacturer of motorbike suspension, something with Ö or so...

Adapting the springs is far better than listening to Dave. Just because he makes some video, this does not mean that he knows something about suspension. It is a lot of nonsense what he is talking and always dropping the front and doing something with the oil...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Havent checked out race tech yet, i looked up hyper pro and öhlins springs. But there no information if it fits on oem catridge, i have to email them and ask.

@hombacher i hear you man! 😂 probably as you and @Vansmack has mentioned the right way is to go with correct springs for my weight.

Probably will end up changing the springs in near future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts