Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It did not go well. The factory put the oil filter and drain plug on way too friggin tight. I had to buy a small oil filter wrench, take off the left side plastics for swing room( of course breaking those stupid plastic screws), and it still took everything I had to break the threads. Finally got it off after many bad words. Then came the drain plug incedent. Of course I didn't have the right size metric socket. Used the closest sae. Again with everything I had I broke the socket, and smashed my throttle thumb(more bad words), but the drain bolt broke free. Thank God. Put in some Mobil 10/40 oil and a new k&n filter, reinstalled the plastics best I could and I was out. The next change should be easier I hope.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It did not go well. The factory put the oil filter and drain plug on way too friggin tight. I had to buy a small oil filter wrench, take off the left side plastics for swing room( of course breaking those stupid plastic screws), and it still took everything I had to break the threads. Finally got it off after many bad words. Then came the drain plug incedent. Of course I didn't have the right size metric socket. Used the closest sae. Again with everything I had I broke the socket, and smashed my throttle thumb(more bad words), but the drain bolt broke free. Thank God. Put in some Mobil 10/40 oil and a new k&n filter, reinstalled the plastics best I could and I was out. The next change should be easier I hope.
Next time warm the bike up for a minute
Plug and filter should be easier to undo

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just curious how many miles on the bike? You went with full synthetic with the 1st oil change. Get the right sized socket for the oil drain bolt, you don’t want to round that bolt off and cause unnecessary issues. I changed all my oil drain bolts to aluminum with the pre drilled holes for safety wiring.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It should of been fairly warm after a morning of riding, but yeah, your right. Idk maybe 800 miles. That's the oil my guy recommended. I have the right size socket, but not on me at the time. Hope I didn't round that bit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I went with full synthetic Mobil 10w40 when I had 900 miles on my 400. I got the bike used and didn’t know the history of the bike. I have used Mobil 10w40 in all my bikes for over 20 years! I also changed the coolant to Engine Ice for track abuse. 😎

1 - 8 of 8 Posts