Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am set on this bike being my next, but I read reviews that say that the ergos are "aggressive" for a street bike. Zack Courts (who is over 6 ft) said they were outright uncomfortable. Another person I know that is about my height said that they're not that bad. I haven't been able to get on one due to their lack of availability.
I'm 5' 6" with a 30" inseam.

I'm curious what you all find for street riding and comfort - if you can list your height, too I'd appreciate it.
  • Do you find the bike reasonably comfortable for long days on the street?
  • If you find the bike not that comfy, is it just one of those "it's so fun to ride I don't care. I make it work." things? Or are you second-guessing your decision?
  • If it's not that comfy, where do you feel it? Wrists? Back?
If you have a reference point with the ergos related to a Panigale, an R6 or a Ninja 400, I'd love it. For example, less aggro than an R6, more than a Ninja - which is how I picture it...? My prior bike was a Monster 1200s with clip ons, so not super upright but not super aggressive.

I'm not worried about ergos related to track riding, as I know it will be fine there.

I do know that you can tweak the bike to fit better and be more comfortable - just looking for overall impressions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha R7 Insta: @ramot.o / YouTube: RaMoto
45 Posts
I’m 5’8 with a 31” inseam. The way the R7 seat height is setup is kind of deceiving. I say that because the tank is so slim that when I get on the bike itself I can damn near flat-footed at my height. But when I sit on the 2017+ R6 I cannot. It’s also been awhile so maybe someone else who owns one can chime in.

Compare this to the Ninja 400, a bike that is easily flat footed .. the R7 is taller and more aggressive. The ninja 400 is close to a naked bike upright style.

Compare the R7 to the R3 - same comments as above

Compare the R7 to the 2020 R1 and you will find the R1 is the most aggressive … almost as if your in a constant fetal position. The R7 is not this bad.

On the street the R7 is fine even with it’s sporty position. I ride mine to work often and don’t have an issue. Sometimes my wrists will get sore but a quick change of my body position such as gripping the tank with my legs fixes things. This can be tiring though for long street rides.

I rode the R7 back from the dealer roughly 3 hours all interstate and yes my back and knees were sore. Those moments def need lots of body changes on the bike and leg stretching like Rossi going into a turn.

Overall it’s not terrible but it won’t be super comfortable like a naked bike. Honestly though, I enjoy it and wanted this style as that’s what I enjoy.

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha R7 Insta: @ramot.o / YouTube: RaMoto
45 Posts
The R1 also is the tallest bike between the whole R series. I was always on my tip toes. (When not doing one foot down) And it’s not a huge difference in measurement of a difference between R7 - 32.9 vs R1 - 33.7

R6 and R1 or any in-line 4 is gonna be wide effectively making your reach to the ground higher. R7 didn’t have that problem

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can't wait to be home after 45 mins. It used to be 30 mins before I switched out the clip ons to zero degree. With my 2020 r3 and grom, I can ride for more than an hour before having to take a break. Usually my butt would hurt first from the seat. R7 seat is comfy but the position is a bit more aggressive compared to the grom or the R3.

I'm 5'8 - 5'9 with a 30 inseam.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that’s all helpful. I’m not worried about the height as much as how far forward the bars seem.

So compared to the R6, how much further forward are you onto your arms versus the R7? I’ve only ridden an R1 once and it was a couple of years ago so I don’t remember it well.

Right now it sounds like you’re saying that it’s a little uncomfortable on longer rides but the fun makes it worth it. I’m sure some ergonomic specific tweaks would help as well.

To be honest, I used to lay on the tank a lot on the monster on highways because I was too stubborn to put a windscreen on it because I didn’t like how it looked. 😂 So laying on the tank is not an issue for me and I’m sure that would offload some of the wrist/back stuff on longer days, too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m not familiar with the R3… But assuming it is similar to the ninja 400 positioning?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’m not familiar with the R3… But assuming it is similar to the ninja 400 positioning?
Yes, r3 is more upright riding position. Handle bars are set higher and on top of the triple as well as the rearsets placement.

R7 is low and stock clip ons is at - 7 degrees.

·
Registered
2022 YZF-R7 Team Yamaha Blue
36 Posts
@Volcom1216 which clip-ons did you get? 50mm right? I’ve been looking at the Driven Halo ones.

@magpie as far as comfort is concerned, the only thing that bothers me after about 30 mins. riding is my wrists. I’m 6ft though. The Tech Spec tank pads really helped get a better grip on the bike though in my opinion.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm 6' tall, 230, my son is 6'5" 280, we both find the stock position very comfortable on the street, canyon, or track. We can go through a tank on the streets easy without needing to rest. The only thing I didn't like about positioning comfort, which I never like, are the Yamaha factory pegs so they were changed. I've been meaning to measure the R7 to compare to the other R bikes, I have each so this shouldn't be so difficult for me. <facepalm> The geometry is similar to the R6 angle wise the advertising said, but I am not sure of the distances, I'll try to do that tomorrow, I've wanted to do that so I just should do it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, for your input.
And re: the R6 - I'd appreciate it! My husband has an R6 for racing so that would be helpful.

I usually swap out for adjustable pegs on my bikes also, no matter the manufacturer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I apparently did not have a protractor, I checked both kids rooms, nothing, so I printed one and having a measuring tape ready, I am just still working. Angles and distances is what I am after for the R3, R6, R7, R1. The R6 and R1 have aftermarket rearsets and clipons, the R1 also has aftermarket seat pan as well so those will not be factory angles and measurements.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts