Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey I actually just swapped my clutch lever for an impaktech lever. All you do is while you are gently pulling on each switch twist a flathead so it pries it off. Very easy and won't pull on wires or break anything. A pick also works well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey I actually just swapped my clutch lever for an impaktech lever. All you do is while you are gently pulling on each switch twist a flathead so it pries it off. Very easy and won't pull on wires or break anything. A pick also works well.
I just got an impaktech lever too. How did you end up bypassing the safety switch? I’ve read a few different techniques and also people saying that jumping the wire makes the ecu think it’s always in neutral which lead to less power?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nah I'm not sure why people think that but i saw forums on it a while back. It's just a safety switch so you can't start the bike without pulling in the clutch in, incase you were in gear it doesn't lunge forward on you. Just there for safety.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah I understand what it’s for… so did you jump it with a paper clip or solder the wires together? I haven’t traced the wires back but I did see on other bikes it’s possible to reverse the way the wires are plugged in. Not sure the best route or what others have had success with

·
Registered
177 Posts
Nah I'm not sure why people think that but i saw forums on it a while back. It's just a safety switch so you can't start the bike without pulling in the clutch in, incase you were in gear it doesn't lunge forward on you. Just there for safety.
Some bikes go into closed-loop mode when the clutch is pulled in or switch bypassed and won't make any power. On many bikes, it doesn't keep the bike from starting unless it's in gear with the clutch out. Does your bike now dangerously crank over while in gear with the clutch out as expected?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Richwilly, I didn't see where you claim to have bypassed your clutch switch so disregard my previous question if you didn't. However, Yamaha is known to use the clutch switch to switch modes.

It would be easy to test by removing the screw that holds the switch in place and let it dangle while connected. That way, the ECU thinks the clutch is always pulled in and fueling will never go rich enough to make good power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Richwilly, I didn't see where you claim to have bypassed your clutch switch so disregard my previous question if you didn't. However, Yamaha is known to use the clutch switch to switch modes.

It would be easy to test by removing the screw that holds the switch in place and let it dangle while connected. That way, the ECU thinks the clutch is always pulled in and fueling will never go rich enough to make good power.
He had to of bypassed it somehow as the aftermarket levers don’t have a plug for the safety switch. It would throw a code if it’s not bypassed and just unplugged (so I’ve read). I think we all understand why the safety switch exists the question is the proper way to bypass it for an aftermarket lever install

·
Registered
177 Posts
With the switch removed and wires left unjumped it should run fine because that would keep it from being in closed-loop mode when the engine is placed under a load. The only drawback is if the bike stalls while in gear, you can't simply pull in the clutch to restart it. You'd have to put it in neutral, first.

Jumping the wires or leaving the switch connected but dangling would be the wrong way to go because the ECU would ALWAYS be in closed-loop mode and running purely off the O2 sensor. This is based on the fact that the clutch switch does more than just act as a safety feature on other bikes including the old FZ07. It's done that way to reduce emissions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts