Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I expected it to be fairly obvious and accessible without removing too much, I guess that is not the case. I am hoping I don't have to lift the tank or airbox to get to it, that would be pretty poor planning I think.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha R7 Insta: @ramot.o / YouTube: RaMoto
32 Posts
If you look at a YT video of the 2017+ R6 , you have to lift the tank up to access the connector. Looking at pictures of the R7 equipped with the QS seems to be in the same area. The cable is only so long too so can't be hard to find.

Let us know! My QS is delivering today but I'm still waiting on my R7 order.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking at the parts diagram last night, that is what I was thinking. What a pain, they couldn't pull it back and bundle it up 6" so it is easy to get to? Getting under there is a pain, it was like solving the Davinci Code to get it all apart, now that I've done it once hopefully it will be easier. I'll let you know. BTW, what QS will you be using? I'm using Flash Tune so I can use GP shift. The other track bikes are set that way, I'll keep them the same.

FYI, the intake snorkel mod done on the MT-07, FZ07, etc, cutting back the intake cover inside of the airbox, is not necessary. I took that all apart to find that they come from the factory with the intake cover already made that way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
BTW, what QS will you be using? I'm using Flash Tune so I can use GP shift. The other track bikes are set that way, I'll keep them the same.
GYTR from Yamaha. I like simplicity.

FYI, the intake snorkel mod done on the MT-07, FZ07, etc, cutting back the intake cover inside of the airbox, is not necessary. I took that all apart to find that they come from the factory with the intake cover already made that way.
This is good info. Do you have pictures?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GYTR from Yamaha. I like simplicity.

This is good info. Do you have pictures?
I did not, but if I have to take it all apart again to find the QS connector I will so people can see they come that way now. I was so mad to find it was already done from the factory I just put it back together. Someone has to go first, I should have said something before.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the instructions now. No need to remove the tank cover. Just 2 of the left side covers.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Blue

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the upper one off, not the lower that is circled. You can see under there, I did not find it. Yet.

I took the airbox cover off. Apparently MT-07's come like pic #1. The R7 is like pic #2.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's awesome then. Well the first thing I'm doing is the QS hopefully next week if the bike comes 🙄 I'll take a video and some photos too

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's awesome then. Well the first thing I'm doing is the QS hopefully next week if the bike comes 🙄 I'll take a video and some photos too
I might still be looking for the connector. LOL If I find it first I'll take a pic.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found the plug, I think, under the cover where you showed RaMoto. The problem was that the connector I had on the Flash Tune harness is the same connector that is on the bike. I called Flash Tune, sent them pics, they built the adapter based on info from Yamaha, who said the factory QS connector was exactly the same as on the R1 and R6, but it is not, it is reversed. So I will be going to Flash Tune today to pick up a new adapter. :rolleyes: Pic is of bike side, it has a blank plug on it and it is gray. On the R6 and R1 the connector is white. Why they switched it, who knows.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tire

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well glad you found it. Seems there is more small changes than originally believed. I'm really just glad the tank dosnt have to be removed. Less work.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The day I picked up the bike I sent an email to Flash Tune sales asking if they needed a bike for fitment etc, no reply. Three weeks later I called to ask about flashing progress, they said they just got a bike and were just starting on it. I said that I had sent a message three weeks before offering mine, sales guy looks it up...... Oh, here it is, we missed that message. <mega facepalm>

Yes, tank removal, the way the plastic cover snaps into place, I don't want to do that often, it will end up breaking the locking tabs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is the connector, under the the blue panel that RaMoto circled. Gray and taped up with an end connector on it. Flash Tune is aware now what wiring harness is needed. To enable QS on the bike, engage the quick shift switch and turn the key on, QS will then be lit on the dash.

A basic Flash Tune ECU program was applied, it made a quite noticeable difference, MOAR power!!!! But the check engine light and ABS lights are illuminated. I pulled and plugged the O2 sensor bung, I am guessing they didn't disable that sensor in the flash program but the bike runs fine. That's fine, we can adjust. Or black gaffers tape over the lights. LOL

·
Registered
70 Posts
Will the check engine light go out with the O2 senser plugged in but not necessarily attached the exhaust? I wouldn't worry about the ABS light.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would think so. The connector is not easily accessible, you need to unbolt the frame cover on the right side. Not a difficult thing but I don't want to be fussing with the bike too much this week as I am going out of town Thursday for a long weekend and I just want to get more miles in before I go. I am about five miles short of 1000, then I can really open it up. 🤣😜

This has happened to me before with Flash Tune, not disabling the O2 when flashed. I'm not actually worried about either light, I just prefer them off. My mechanic has the Yamaha diagnostic reader, I might go by today to see what it is on for. The ABS light is interesting because I put the fuse back in and it is still on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Installed the Yamaha quickshifter finally and got it programmed on. I found that using the QS at aggressive part throttle and full throttle are better and smoother than low RPM/speeds.

Instructions are decent but could be better. Took me a few tries to get it programmed to turn on as it's different than the 2017+ R6 and other bikes I saw on forums and YouTube. Instead of holding gear shift up and waiting for the QS icon to come on.... On the R7 you have to have the bike turned off, firmly upshift into gear from N and hold, turn key on, wait 15 seconds or so then downshift.

Once you do those steps the QS icon will display.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Installed the Yamaha quickshifter finally and got it programmed on. I found that using the QS at aggressive part throttle and full throttle are better and smoother than low RPM/speeds.

Instructions are decent but could be better. Took me a few tries to get it programmed to turn on as it's different than the 2017+ R6 and other bikes I saw on forums and YouTube. Instead of holding gear shift up and waiting for the QS icon to come on.... On the R7 you have to have the bike turned off, firmly upshift into gear from N and hold, turn key on, wait 15 seconds or so then downshift.

Once you do those steps the QS icon will display.
I had told my son about the abruptness at low to medium speed, I think there is just so much torque being applied I kind of jumps. His reply: It is smooth as butter at high speed!

🤦‍♂️🤣

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe the connector is different because it's only for upshifts and others work for downshifts also.
Bikes with Autoblip have an additional wire on the QS harness that connects via pinned wire to the ECU. It would have been nice to have, and I see so many (who won't buy the bike no matter what) complaining about all the things it "should" have had. Well, it is not going to be a $9k bike when you start adding all that stuff in, especially stuff like autoblip. Which is pretty damn nice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts