Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does the 600 mile service entail other than oil change, and chain / bolt checks?

Curious if it can all be done at home or actually needs to go to a shop.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can look up the Owner's Manual on Yamaha's website which will detail the items to be done at 600 miles. Whether you do the work yourself or rely on a dealer should be based on your mechanical ability and some tools. You would need a torque wrench to assure proper torque specs and a set of vacuum gauges to perform the throttle body synchronization. The OEM Service Manual covers all of these tasks in detail and would be a worthwhile investment! Good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I don't have the bike yet - should be getting it this month. Trying to prep in advance.

I've read that the throttle body thing isn't necessary if the bike is running well? That's the one thing I'm not sure of doing myself. My husband and I have all of the tools and do a lot of the work on the bikes ourselves, with valves as an exception.

Did you do yours yourself?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got my R7 very recently and haven't gotten to the 600 mile mark yet. I do, however, perform all of the service work so far on my 2021 FJR1300ES myself including throttle body synchronization. I was actually able to improve the engine smoothness on my FJR at the 600 mile service and didn't have to make any adjustments at the 4,000 service. The same work on the R7 should be fairly easy. You will want to get swingarm spools and a rear stand for the bike if you do not already have these since the R7 does not have a center stand. The spools are 6mm. I prefer doing my own work and suspect that you will too!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cool! So was that the first time you did the throttle bodies? Was it pretty straightforward?

Yeah, we get front and rear stands for all of our bikes.
Its not too difficult. The worst part is access, which on the FJR requires moving the gas tank and other bits and pieces. Again, the Yamaha manual is good at guiding you through the work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts