Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

New Rider, just hit 600 miles. Was wondering if its worth doing the first service myself? I was quoted 150$ from a local dealer. Ive never done any motorcycle maintenance, just wondering if its worth it from yall's experience. Thanks!

·
Registered
595 Posts
What they do is very basic work, but if you have no experience in motorcycle mechanics and vehicle maintenance it might be worth it for the piece of mind, at least the first time. Are you otherwise mechanically minded and inclined? If so, give it a shot. I am sure someone here has the list of items covered by the first maintenance. If you have questions, ask, like you did already.

One thing I do with nearly every bike I buy is get the factory service manual. You can learn through reading it and practice how things disassembly, reassemble, and how to maintain the bike. It is all in there, and often you will learn through places like here the extra steps they include. Many bikes share parts with other models but there may be something slightly different in how it is used in this application.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I think my strategy, will be to do the first couple services myself. First 2 don't look to complex after looking at the manual. All the other complicated stuff I will take to a dealer once I get to 8k miles.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Not in the US. You should document all your maintenance actions and efforts, to deny the warranty they are supposed to prove it was due to your action, or lack of. If your rear wheel fails due to a manufacturing issue, your warranty is not void because you change your own oil.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not in the US. You should document all your maintenance actions and efforts, to deny the warranty they are supposed to prove it was due to your action, or lack of. If your rear wheel fails due to a manufacturing issue, your warranty is not void because you change your own oil.
That makes more sense than our system
Mitsubishi give a fifteen year on cars
But only if you service with them
R7 has 2 years
But must be by a qualified bike mech

·
Registered
33 Posts
I take my new bikes into the dealer for the 1st service and then the majors (valve adjustments, etc....), but do the "tweener" services myself which is usually a basic oil & filter change as well as a good visual inspection.

I like to have a record of the first service for resale and it's a good time for the dealer to check it out for any recalls.

Good luck. It's always fulfilling to do your own work.

Also, I'm not sure where you are located, but out here in LA there's a number of "co-op" shops that offer classes on maintenance, tool/lift rentals and even mentorships. My local is Moto Republic. It's a great way to plug into the community and learn.

J.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.