Yamaha YZF-R7 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yeah, the problem is the brake feel though - the ABS activation itself isn't really bothering me (yet). I just want to bypass the entire system as you did with your R1, then just rip it all out for the weight savings.

How'd you decide between the T-fitting and running it the stock way (hose from MC to caliper, then hose from caliper to other caliper)? I already ordered a spiegler set for the R6, but if it doesn't work out I'll def check out the company you recommended. Thanks!
I had never thought of a T until the fairings were fully off of the R1. I saw that and liked it. I should have taken a pic. It is essentially one line that Tee's, you cannot disconnect it at the Tee. I'll see if I can get a pic of it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had never thought of a T until the fairings were fully off of the R1. I saw that and liked it. I should have taken a pic. It is essentially one line that Tee's, you cannot disconnect it at the Tee. I'll see if I can get a pic of it.
Found this thread over on the WERA forums with some discussion and a nice diagram of the options. Sounds like pretty much all options are viable, with MAYBE some extremely minor differences. I honestly don't even know which version is the set I ordered, guess we'll find out soon enough. Brake Line Routing & Performance?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice! I am planning to do the free track day that Yamaha gave me at the Autobahn in Joliet, IL. Going to hold off until 2022 though. I want to add a few things first, break in the bike and I need some gear for the track since STT can't rent out gear because of covid.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Awesome, yeah I'd love to hear his observations so far. I don't care too much about losing my speedo (although it would be annoying) and the R7 electronics are pretty simple so there's probably not a lot to be worried about...hopefully.

Yeah, I don't recall engaging the ABS either at my pace, and if it did it wasn't overly intrusive although Thunderhill really only has a couple heavy braking zones. It really makes me roll my eyes at the street riders who feel like the ABS is "holding them back." :rolleyes: And like you I'm only at maybe 80% on the R7 so far, but that's still pushing way harder than I'd ever have the opportunity to ride on the street...

At any rate, I mostly want to get rid of it because of how shitty it makes the brakes feel. And shedding all that extra hose and fluid is a nice weight bonus to boot and simplifies bleeding the brakes and so on. (y) Do you know anyone that's done exhaust/airbox/tuning yet? What are your plans there?
So I rode Laguna Seca on Saturday and I was riding at probably about 70% pace because I like to enjoy Laguna instead of being terrified of it. I never got the ABS to engage. Plus I am sitll on the original S22's. The S22 rear tire is great. The front tire to me isn't that great and when rode it at CVR a few weeks back I actually "recovered" some front end crashes. My wife unfortunately lost the front and crashed my R7. Luckily the only damage was all cosmetic and a front lever. I was able to swap the front lever off my wife's R7 before the Laguna trip.

This weekend I am back at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway and there is definitely a hard braking area (Turn 10 CCW) so I actually may see if I can actually get ABS to engage to get a feel how intrusive it is....maybe to the point where I actually run off track. If it isn't too intrusive I may just keep it on. I do plan on bringing some slick take offs I have and will replace as needed. I would not be surprised if I love the S22 rear with a Pirelli DOT or slick since there many times I have raced on mismatched sets and so far the S22 rear hasn't broken loose on me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
So I rode Laguna Seca on Saturday and I was riding at probably about 70% pace because I like to enjoy Laguna instead of being terrified of it. I never got the ABS to engage. Plus I am sitll on the original S22's. The S22 rear tire is great. The front tire to me isn't that great and when rode it at CVR a few weeks back I actually "recovered" some front end crashes. My wife unfortunately lost the front and crashed my R7. Luckily the only damage was all cosmetic and a front lever. I was able to swap the front lever off my wife's R7 before the Laguna trip.

This weekend I am back at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway and there is definitely a hard braking area (Turn 10 CCW) so I actually may see if I can actually get ABS to engage to get a feel how intrusive it is....maybe to the point where I actually run off track. If it isn't too intrusive I may just keep it on. I do plan on bringing some slick take offs I have and will replace as needed. I would not be surprised if I love the S22 rear with a Pirelli DOT or slick since there many times I have raced on mismatched sets and so far the S22 rear hasn't broken loose on me.

How many miles on it now? My rear was done at 1000. But you are just riding it on the track right? Also, you are a bit smaller than my boy and I.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How many miles on it now? My rear was done at 1000. But you are just riding it on the track right? Also, you are a bit smaller than my boy and I.
1317 miles on the odometer. I was commuting on it for a little but it will be dedicated track. I was running 42 psi cold in the rear when commuting on it and 26 psi cold in the rear when it is at the track.

·
Registered
121 Posts
1317 miles on the odometer. I was commuting on it for a little but it will be dedicated track. I was running 42 psi cold in the rear when commuting on it and 26 psi cold in the rear when it is at the track.
It is such a fun bike on the track, I can hardly wait to get back out there. Hopefully I am ready by the first track days in the new year. Fingers crossed.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts